14e2 vs 13c5

14e. Insufficient material to win on time. The game is drawn even when a player exceeds the time limit if one of the following conditions exists. (see also 15H. Reporting of results):

14e2. King and bishop or king and knight. Opponent has only king and bishop or king and knight, and does not have a forced win.

13c5. How to claim. To claim a win by time forfeit, a player should stop both clocks (5I) and state the claim. If the opponent accepts the claim, the game is over. If the opponent does not accept the claim, the claimant must present the claim to a director.

Does 13c5 overrule 14e2? The player who ran out of time accepted a loss with his opponent having a King and Bishop and no forced win. Does that win stand or should it be changed to a draw?

It sound to me like it does. Once again: knowing the rules before the tournament, priceless. I think this might be different in FIDE rules. But in USCF I think it would be equivalent to agreeing to being checkmated. The TD doesn’t step in and say no that’s not checkmate, right?

Under US Chess rules, once two players agree on a result, and report it, I consider that reported result to be sacrosanct. If there is a dispute about the result prior to reporting, then I would apply the rulebook - and, in this case, I would rule the game drawn due to Rule 14E2.

If the players accepted the result and posted it, then that result should stand. There are only two instances in which I might change a reported result: TD error or cheating on the part of one player, neither of which is in evidence here. It’s a shame because it really should be a draw, but that’s the penalty you pay for not knowing the rules and not consulting a TD before agreeing to a result and posting it. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience.