Byes and recanting

What are the rules concerning byes and recanting.

For instance, if one asks for a 5th round by in a 5 round event before round 1,

Can he then say he does not want a bye before rnd 3? How about rnd 4?

To avoid people trying to game the system with tentative final round half-point byes, when I am the chief TD I retain the bye and allow an extra games section for anybody that still wants to get a rated game in.
Now if it was a zero-point bye then I allow recanting that (within the normal time parameters of such recantation needing to be done before I have to worry about pairing the round).

I’m surprised Mr. Ballou didn’t mention 22C5. That says that the TD can allow the player to play, but he can’t score more than .5 for prize purposes.

Alex Relyea

Point well taken. However, the director must agree to the request; it is not automatically granted.

I will decide it on a case by case basis but my default position would be to disallow the 1/2-point bye revocation and instead allow a player to play a game in the extra games section, not the player’s main section.

I do admit to having some flexibility.
Once I allowed a player to start a tournament in round two with a round one full point bye. If somebody else wants to do that they just have to enter a multi-week, one-game-per-week, trophy-only event with the reason for missing the first round being just as strong as that situation where it was because he was one of the three strongest players in the more-than-25-player event and he was in the hospital with his wife as she gave birth to their first child.
Another time I allowed a player back into an event after being a no-show forfeit, and without charging a fine, and all he had for an excuse was the hospital report showing he was treated for a heart attack during the previous evening’s round.

Previous evening!? I would definitely have refused to pair that player.

Now this is amazing on so many levels. I guess I would have
a very difficult time, myself, not letting anyone this passionate back in.
However, with great concern for their health, I would really question them to ensure they believed such was the best for their health.

Rob Jones

His wife remained with him all day to keep an eye on him.

Um, I think fpawn was pulling your leg.

Bill Smythe

Playing the Bird…if you will…