e-mail correspondence site

The site seems to be very stale. No update since March. No list of rules. I’ve sent 3 e-mails to USCF since June 13 asking about it. No replies.

If you’re referring to the USCF correspondence server, it is currently being tested. You can join in on the testing at chessserver.rmrdevelopment.com.

So far it appears that feedback emails sent to the developer are not returned. I can only hope the devs are taking the suggestions and building fixes and updates.

Thank you crume. I am playing on the site. I have sent e-mails to cchess@uschess.org with no response.

Has anyone been successful in communicating via email to the USCF through cchess@uschess.org :

“I have sent several email questions to this address with no response. I’ll try one more time. Is anyone there?”

Is cchess@uschess.org a dead address? It is the one listed on the USCF page for questions about correspondence chess.

Try contacting Alex Dunne directly at chesskinetics@stny.rr.com.

I received the following email response from Alex Dunne 2 hours ago. [Note: I substituted “Mr. X” for the real name of my opponent.]

“Sorry about the delay. You were into an area of USCF CC that I am not up to date on/. You entered the beta testing area of the new chess server. It’s all somewhat experimental (beta testing anyway) and I am afraid players drift out of play due to a 72 hour time that will be improved when the program is ready. For now, I am afraid the game with (Mr. X) is over (at least according to the computer). These games are not rated, win or lose, but when the program is finally ready, all these bugs will be ironed out.”

I thanked him for the response and hoped that the site will be improved.

The email for the developer given on the site is:
mhansen@conradical.net

I have been waiting for my opponent to make his 21st move or resign. I am playing black and have an easy win. I checked the game this morning, and found that he had not made a move, his clock was still running, and there was a message that simply said “Oppenent Won” (sic). There was nothing that said “resigns” or “0 – 1”, just the ambiguous and misspelled “Oppenent Won”.

Perhaps I am the “Oppenent” who has won?

The e-mail site is pretty poor and should be embarrassing to the USCF. Whoever is in charge of it is unwilling or unable to fix it or communicate. It still has the date of March 20, 2012 and cheerily says “Happy first day of spring.” It even says that it appears everything is running fine. Yeah, sure.

The site is in beta, essentially a semi-operational draft to get feedback from real users. After years of watching the USCF launch the “final” versions of things and fail miserably, I am very pleased that they launched a beta version to presumably refine the options and get the issues worked out. I’ll reserve judgement for the final version and/or when they scrap the project b/c they didn’t put the development out to RFP for a developer who understands USCF correspondence chess.

A server is not an email site.

My grade for the site = F.

I registered as Steven DuCharme. Please challenge me when you’re ready. Hopefully a list of players will be available in the not too distant future. Good luck to us all.

Thanks, but no thanks. The site is useless. Perhaps when they fix it.

Give it a chance. :smiley:

I gave it a lot of chances. It’s no good. If (?) they fix it, maybe I’ll try again. But, they don’t appear to have the inclination or expertise to fix it, so it’s pretty much a waste of time now.

I’ve played two games on the site and it is absolutely horrible. During my last game I was black. My 12th move was listed as white’s 13th move. The move list reverted to normal on move 14. About move 17, the log-in screen listed the game as “Your Opponent Won” although the game was still on-going. I received no notification when my opponent resigned. I guess that’s because the game was already stating I had lost.

Is this the best the USCF can do? The interface looks like it’s right out of the early 1990s.

I thought a beta version was intended for fine-tuning and tweaking. What is described here is no beta version.

Since it was mixing up white’s and black’s moves –

– the latter behavior should come as no surprise. Apparently, your opponent resigned, but the interface had once again mixed up white and black, so it thought you had resigned. Then, it mixed up the players a third time, and notified the wrong player.

When is USCF going to wake up and stop partnering with enterprises that have no track record in chess?

Bill Smythe

I’m not sure the Greek alphabet is suitable for this. Is there a letter before alpha? :unamused:

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully completed a game? In my last two games:

1. On move 15 my opponent was not allowed to make a legal move (which was really the only good move)
  2. On move 38 it gave my opponent the win, although it was not checkmate or time expired. It also allowed me to play move 39, but the game showed that my opponent won.

On my last opponent’s recommendation, I think I’m going to try the free trial at SchemingMind.com.

On the plus side, this experiment has caused me to become interested in internet correspondence games.

Hmm, let’s see if I can come with a plausible explanation of this one.

Maybe you were in check, but it thought it was your opponent’s move. Since all the legal moves were your opponent’s, you couldn’t get out of check.

Nope, that won’t work. Your opponent could have simply moved the checking piece away, putting you out of check.

Ooh – but what if the checking piece was a pawn, blocked by one of your pieces? Then it couldn’t move away.

Oops, that’s no good either. PxK would then be legal.

Aha – what if his checking pawn were pinned against his king, horizontally? Then PxK would be illegal.

This bumbling website opens up a whole new world of chess problems: retrograde defective-computer missed-move analysis.

Bill Smythe