FIDE Tournament?

What does it take to run a small FIDE tournament?

What requirements are there for becoming a FIDE TD?

What requirements are there for someone to play in a FIDE rated event?

How many of the participants need to already have a FIDE rating?

How much does it cost to have a small tournament FIDE rated?

Are there any other question I should ask, but didn’t?

Steven Craig Miller

Steven - a lot of what you’ve asked is ‘it depends’.

You have to make some decisions like round robin or swiss? How many rounds do you want the event to have?

In order to become a FIDE Arbiter you can reference the following link - fide.com/fide/handbook.html? … w=category

You’ll need to collect the required norms as outlined in the link above plus attend an arbiters seminar and pass the corresponding test with a score of 80% or more. For USCF to submit your title application you’ll have to be a USCF Senior TD and pay the fee. From your MSA you’re a club TD so you’d have to get yourself up to that level. The FA is the first level designation. After that you can go for your IA.

In order for players to achieve FIDE ratings, they have to accumulate ‘rating norms’ (poor choice of words but easiest way to describe it). A rating norm can be achieved by playing at least 3 FIDE rated players and scoring 1 point or more (1 win or 2 draws). Once you collect norms that cover 9 games, you’ll get a FIDE rating. This is how it works in a Swiss.

If you do a RR event and it’s a 10 player event, then you can have 4 of them be FIDE rated and 6 be non-FIDE rated. As long as all non-FIDE rated players score at least 1 point (1 win or 2 draws) against ANYONE in the field, at the end of the event the 6 non-FIDE rated players will have FIDE ratings. But if any of the non-FIDE rated players do NOT score at least 1 point, the event will be treated as a Swiss for ratings and the previous paragraph applies. I recommend having people around the same USCF rating so there aren’t any wide ranges. I would also keep the ratings of the FIDE rated players 2199 or below as this gives you the option of using a time control such as G/60 + 30/sec increment. I personally recommend only using increment time controls and moving forward with life rather than allowing the use of delay. You can also then put together tournament booklets or PGNs of the games because score will have to be kept because of the 30-sec increment. This format has been used on the Chicago North Shore by Chris Baumgarnter though he used G/90 + 30/sec increment. It’s more work to put it together and execute but the rating results are immediate. Though Chris alternates between RR and Swiss with what he does.

For rated events (no title norms) I believe, unless the rule was changed and I’m not going to go look it up, all you need is a FA available via phone if there are disputes and interpretation of FIDE rules are available. Down in your area I believe our only FA is Glenn Panner. He would be a good choice for you to talk to if you want to put together a tournament in your neck of the woods.

Next weekend is the 2nd half of the 26th NA Masters and the MCA FIDE Futurity (mine and Chris’ tournament respectively). I’d be happy to share info with you there if you’re interested in growing this down in your neck of the woods. Same place where you stopped by last time you came up.

To: Sevan,

Thanks for the information. It gives me something to think about.

Steven Craig Miller