FM rated 1049

This is an interesting one: uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12787166
fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=1503707

Maybe there is something to the "no relationship between USCF and FIDE ratings" idea!?

I guess Goichberg won’t let him enter the Under 1200 section at the World Open next year.

Maybe the next time I get grief for losing to a 1050 I can tell detractors he might be an FM from another country.

His last USCF game was 6.5 years ago. Looking at his FIDE card he was born in 1990 and would have been 9 or 10 then. A kid going up 1300 points in 6.5 years isn’t that weird is it?

I can’t tell from the data available if this is a case of mistaken identity or not (though that seems likely), so I’m referring it to Walter Brown to investigate further.

We had a case last year of a foreign player who had a USCF rating of around 1800 from games back in 1999 or 2000 but who is now a GM. (In that case it was definitely the same person.)

The event he played in during 2005 was initiallly rated using his old (and terribly out-of-date) USCF rating, but afterwards the office reinitialized his rating based on his current FIDE rating. It made a big difference for the players he faced in that event.

I think this illustrates a flaw in the USCF’s ‘Once rated always rated’ policy.