Illegal Move???

Suppose:

1. Black plays RxR, but does not press his clock.

2. White promptly replies with the obvious PxR, but White does not touch his own clock because his is not running.

3. White leaves the board for a bathroom break.

4. When Black sees White lose sight of the board, Black finally presses Black’s clock.

5. White returns to the board, and sees his own clock is ticking.

6. On closer inspection, White realizes his clock has lost about the same amount of time as he was away for a break. White looks at the board, and realizes Black has not replied to PxR. It dawns on White that he should press his own clock, which White then does with a bit of anger.

7. Black then promptly makes his move, and presses his clock.

I get the impression that the above unpleasant situation, and several unnecessary unpleasant situations, would all be mitigated if the chess rules of game conduct simply stated that…

“Each player is required to press his clock without pointless delay after he completes his physical move on the chess board. A delay longer than 4-5 seconds may be a violation.
If there is an excessive delay in a player pressing his clock, the opponent has the option of pressing the neglected clock to thereby start his own clock. Or the opponent has the option to summon a TD.
But no player is allowed to move unless is own clock is running.”

Any thoughts?

I think the proposed solution is severe overkill.

When I was studying to become a TD, I was rather surprised to find that the situation that is the subject of this thread isn’t specifically addressed in the rulebook, even in the form of a TD Tip. I had coached a chess team for 9 years, and this was one of the commoner errors I had witnessed during tournament play.

Many players don’t use clocks when they’re not playing in a tournament (often because they frequently play people who don’t go to tournaments and who consequently object to playing with clocks because they’re not used to it). So it’s not uncommon for a player to occasionally forget to hit his clock button after moving and it’s not uncommon for his opponent to fail to notice this and to go ahead and move, not realizing until he tries to hit his own button that his opponent never hit his.

Bob

Thank you very much for this clarification. So, let me get this right. If white moves, fails to
press his clock, and then black moves “on white’s time”, a. there should be no penalty, or even
a warning to black?, (some have mentioned that such action could fall under ‘unsportsmanlike’
behavior). and, b, besides the rules, does in your opinion, proper protocol or standards suggest
that either black inform white that he needs to press his clock, or b, at the least, not move until
white presses the clock?? What constitutes a gentleman??

Rob Jones

So, I’m very short on time, and my opponent gives me extra time to think by not pressing his clock. If I’m Gaprindashvili, and my opponent is Tal, I would threaten to resign if he did it again.

Interesting - I just witnessed this same situation - except with time situation reversed - and i think this is a more critical case - as a player who is about to run out of time has more to lose in a tournament with delay or increment.

time control: 40/120,SD30;d10
TBH, I cannot recall if it was in the SD portion of the control or the first time control.

Player A: 3 minutes
Player B: 19 seconds

Player B makes an capture where there is a routine re-capture present.
Before player B presses his clock, player A (with more time) makes the recapture and swiftly moves his hand over to the clock as to hit it.

But then holds down the button of his clock (seitech clock - its a digital clock, but analog actuator/button on it) so that player B cannot press his side.

Player B does tap his clock button - it doesnt go down - he realizes it is his move and continues to play.

My mind is screaming that Player A just deprived player B of his 10 second delay. Player B’s clock continued to run during this exchange instead of having the d10 kick in.

I am ready to make a ruling, but player B does not claim anything - and does not even seem to realize that he has been disadvantaged by that sequence of events.

I chose not to intervene, but was ready to penalize player A by rewarding 2 minutes to player B if he had claimed.

edit: fixed where I transposed the players.

If I am reading you correctly, this is one of many areas of the rules where the director has discretion over what penalty, if any, to assess if a player fails to follow 9G by moving before his opponent has pressed the clock. That would be good, since sometimes “play on gentlemen” would be appropriate, and other times – e.g., someone gaming an opponent in time trouble – it wouldn’t be.

OK, then what is the purpose of this blitz rule? Is it only to prevent an opponent from holding down the clock button on a player’s move?

6d.)
Each player must always be allowed to press the clock after their move is made.

I’m not familiar with this clock, but I think this falls in the same category of picking up the clock, so I would intervene here, complaint or not. Players should not be allowed to play clock games of any type.

Alex Relyea

Rule 16C: Removing a player’s hand from clock. Players must remove their hands from the clock button after depressing the button and must keep their hands off and away from the clock until it is time to press it again. See also 5H, Pressing the clock.

This is exactly what I meant to say.

Alex Relyea

Perhaps what gentlemen and ladies are in chess needs defining??

Rob Jones

Depends. If black moves so quickly that white has no chance to press the clock, then white himself can impose the ultimate penalty, by pressing the clock anyway, even after black has already pressed it. Then the wrong clock will be running, and black would have to notice this fact, and press the clock again. Failure to notice would cause problems for black, perhaps even a time-forfeit loss. Then black’s punishment would be inherent in his crime. Or, even if black notices, and presses the clock again, the distraction caused to black by the unusual sequence of events could still amount to appropriate punishment.

If, on the other hand, white simply forgets to press his clock, then black is under no obligation to remind him, and black should feel free to (eventually) play his own move without waiting any longer.

A gentleman (or lady) would probably give his / her opponent a reasonable opportunity to press the clock. If the opponent does not do so within several seconds, the gentleman / lady would probably remind the opponent. But if this forgetfulness persists, the gentleman / lady would be well within his / her rights to cease the reminders, and just go ahead and move when ready.

There is at least one other possibility. Some players, after they move, will hold their hands over the clock button for a few seconds, taking one last look at the position to make sure they haven’t blundered. In this case, I would just wait for them to press. I would also likely point out to the opponent, after the game is over, that the determined-move rule is in effect, so that pausing before pressing has no benefit.

Bill Smythe

I have different thoughts based on the situation at hand.

1. Player A moves and perhaps forgets to press the clock. B waits several seconds or more and then moves and presses his non-started clock.

2. Player A moves and waits to start his clock so he can record his move and then see the opponent’s reply so he can see and record his opponents move. Again, B waits several seconds or more and then moves and presses his non-started clock.

3. Player A moves but before he can start his clock, B immediately makes a move and presses his non-started clock.

4. Player A moves but before he can start his clock, the opponent immediately makes a move and presses his non-started clock. B is very short on time. He may also do this frequently. Player A being in time trouble may also be a consideration.

Any of the above situations will have an effect on the clock especially if delay or increment is in effect. I have occasionally done 1 and 3 but not on purpose and try not to. I absolutely abhor the idea of pressing one’s own clock when you are actually on move and your clock is running [not any rule book definition of on move, but where your opponent made the last move on the board and you are now obligated to move.] FYI, in my opinion, making two moves in a row without the opponent moving is an illegal move and should be handled with thought as to why it occurred in the above situations. For example in blitz, I might not rule a game losing move for the first time and explain why.

I find case 4 to be both an unsporting example of trying to avoid losing time on your clock and illegal as defined in the rules. This should be penalized for disturbing your opponent. Player A should have time added for the disturbance. Player B should be fined time and warned not to repeat. Future violations should be given consideration for stronger penalties.

In cases 1 & 2, many players will wait for the press and then move feeling this is sporting. In case 2, A should pause the clock and explain his desire for the opponent not to move. in both cases the TD should warn B to not repeat. Any future penalties should be applied with consideration of the frequency and the state of the player’s clocks.

Case 3 is frequently just replying with a move already planned and just getting excited or forgetting to wait and is normally not a unsportsmanlike action. Clocks can be adjusted to correct time lost by the disturbance. Any future penalties should be applied with consideration of the frequency and the state of the player’s clocks.

In all cases the TD may want to adjust the clocks for delay/increment reasons in addition to adding or subtracting time to the opponents for the violation.

I personally think the best way to deal with all the situations is for A to pause the clocks and call the TD. Ignoring in case 1 is also an option. I also think this should apply to pieces being knocked over and A moving and if A moves a pawn to the 8th and punches his clock. I would also announce and rule that any un-promoted pawn on the 8th is a Queen.