Is delay assumed now?

I know that we’ve adopted the digital delay clock as standard, that clocks without delay are officially nonstandard, and that we’re no longer supposed to subtract from the base time to compensate for delay (e.g., G/30 ≍ G/25 + d5).

But does this mean that if we advertise a tournament or submit one for rating as, say, G/45, that’s to be taken as synonymous with G/45 + d5 unless otherwise specified? Or should we always include the “+ d5” in all announcements and submissions, even though it’s the standard? Conversely, if we hold a tournament with no delay (and no increment), should we specify “no delay” (or “+ d0” in a rating submission)?

I believe that the default in a regular rated sudden death event, dating back to the publication of the 5th edition in 2003 (see page 10), is 5 seconds of delay, so that is what players should expect at an event unless otherwise specified. That means you don’t HAVE to advertise it.

Whether that means you should advertise whether or not players will be permitted (by the organizer/TD) to subtract 5 minutes from their clocks is a somewhat separate issue. Also, assuming no reinstatement of 5Fa, as of 1/1/2012 organizers/TDs will NOT be able to allow players to subtract time at all unless it is advertised.

As far as reporting events is concerned, I think I’d provide the most accurate information you can.

Yup.

At one time, Chess Life had a habit of deleting “unnecessary” information (like “open to all”) from TLAs. If that’s still true, your “d5” might find its way to the cutting room floor.

Yup. Simplest might be “d0”.

Better yet, don’t even think about running a tournament with neither delay nor increment. :neutral_face:

Bill Smythe