Is this ethical?

Say I have two friends, rated 1754 and 1736. Both have never reached 1800. Could they play a match until one of them hit 1800?

Same goes for two experts rated 2175 and 2186 to reach 2200?

If the games are fairly contested, then why not? I’m not sure what the point of doing so would be. Nothing magical happens when you hit 1800.

I’ve seen topics about people playing much lower rated and fussing about it, but I agree, I don’t see the harm in it.

Someone DOES happen at 1800, the player gets a 1600 peak rating floor.

There are several restrictions and limits associated with match play.

Both players must have established ratings within 400 points of each other. (These restrictions can be waived by the USCF office under special circumstances, primarily for events that aren’t arranged matches. Two such examples are a section that winds up with only two players in it or a playoff that arises from an event.)

Bonus points cannot be earned in a match, so in order for a 1754 player to reach 1800 in a single match he would probably have to go 4-0 against a 1736 player. How likely is that?

Also, a rating cannot go up or down by more than 50 points in a single match, so it would take two or more matches for the 1736 player to get to 1800.

The match rules also have limits of 100 points over a 180 day period or 200 points over a three year period.

lol, getting a new floor only matters if you plan to go crashing back down to 1600!

I didn’t say it was an earth-shattering event to cross a 100 point boundary, but some people might consider it of some significance to them.

What? I was told you get your virginity back.

Why would you want that back??

Depends who you lost it to!