paring question / change bye player?

Giving the following standings in a scholastic State Championship event, pair the final round (6).

#   Name/Rtng/ID  | Rd 1 | Rd 2 | Rd 3 | Rd 4 | Rd 5 | Rd 6 | Tot
-------------------------------------------------------------------	
1   Player S      | W2   | B3   | W5   | B7   | W6   |      |			
      1841        |  1.0 |  2.0 |  2.5 |  3.5 |  4.5 |      | 4.5	
2   Player M      | B1   | B5   | W7   | W3   | B4   |      |		
      1813        |  0.0 |  1.0 |  2.0 |  3.0 |  3.0 |      | 3.0	
3   Player H      | W4   | W1   | B6   | B2   | B7   |      |		
      1742        |  1.0 |  1.0 |  2.0 |  2.0 |  3.0 |      | 3.0	
4   Player K      | B3   | W6   | bye  | B5   | W2   |      |	
      1498        |  0.0 |  0.0 |  1.0 |  2.0 |  3.0 |      | 3.0
5   Player G      | B7   | W2   | B1   | W4   | bye  |      |  			
      1665        |  1.0 |  1.0 |  1.5 |  1.5 |  2.5 |      | 2.5
6   Player N      | ---  | B4   | W3   | bye  | B1   |      |  			
      1563        | U0.0 |  1.0 |  1.0 |  2.0 |  2.0 |      | 2.0	
7   Player L      | W5   | bye  | B2   | W1   | B3   |      |  			
      1262        | 0.0  |  1.0 |  1.0 |  1.0 |  1.0 |      | 1.0	

Player N was a late entry and was not paired for the first round. If you are going to change the bye player (Player H), please quote the USCF rule justifying your re-assignment of who would get the bye instead.

How did player H get Black three times in a row? There is incomplete data to determine who should get a bye. At the very least, player M should not receive a bye because he already received one earlier in the event. The wag in me suggests to give player S the bye because it least affects the other’s results. No matter what the others do in the last round, they cannot catch S.

It’s late and I haven’t checked colors, but the options are to:
give player 1 a bye and have 2 play 6, 3 play 5, 4 play 7
give player 2 a bye and have 1 play 4, 3 play 5, 6 play 7
give player 3 a bye and have 1 play 4, 2 play 6, 5 play a rematch with 7
give player 7 a second bye and have 1 play 4, 2 play 6, 3 play 5

I’d be strongly tempted by A and go with B

Um, if you give the bye to player H, there is no way to pair the remaining 6 players, without a repeat pairing.

This is just a variation of the old 6-player trap, where if there are 4 or 5 rounds, you can end up with no pairings at all in round 4, without a repeat pairing. The only solution is to be careful when pairing round 3, to make sure that pairings exist for round 4.

Here we have 6 rounds, so 1 extra player is not enough to guarantee you won’t fall into the trap. The only solution is to be careful when pairing rounds 3 and 4 (maybe 5 also).

[size=170][b][code]
Name/Rtng/ID | Rd 1 | Rd 2 | Rd 3 | Rd 4 | Rd 5 | Rd 6 | Tot

1 Player S | W2 | B3 | W5 | B7 | W6 | |
1841 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 2.5 | 3.5 | 4.5 | | 4.5

2 Player M | B1 | B5 | W7 | W3 | B4 | |
1813 | 0.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 3.0 | 3.0 | | 3.0

3 Player H | W4 | W1 | B6 | B2 | B7 | |
1742 | 1.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 2.0 | 3.0 | | 3.0

4 Player K | B3 | W6 | bye | B5 | W2 | |
1498 | 0.0 | 0.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 3.0 | | 3.0

5 Player G | B7 | W2 | B1 | W4 | bye | |
1665 | 1.0 | 1.0 | 1.5 | 1.5 | 2.5 | | 2.5

6 Player N | – | B4 | W3 | bye | B1 | |
1563 | U0.0 | 1.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 2.0 | | 2.0

7 Player L | W5 | bye | B2 | W1 | B3 | |
1262 | 0.0 | 1.0 | 1.0 | 1.0 | 1.0 | | 1.0

[/code][/b][/size]
The only entrant Player S has not yet faced is player K, so the K vs S pairing is forced. The only entrant Player M has not yet faced is player N, so the N vs M pairing is forced. This leaves (if player H is to receive the bye) G vs L, but they’ve already faced each other. Q.E.D.

Bill Smythe

You started a 6 round event with 6 players. Why wasn’t this paired as a RR-guided Swiss? If it had been, you
would not be in this pickle.

I’d agree if it was a five round event for six players. Since it was a six round event there were going to be rematches anyway. That said, the addition of a seventh player is a good reason to look at converting it to a RR-guided Swiss.

How many recent TDs, most of whom have probably never paired an event by hand, would even know what a RR-guided Swiss is?

Everyone who truthfully answered the question: “Did you read the rulebook?”

Isn’t that what the LOCAL TD test is supposed to test?

I haven’t looked at the local exam in a while (I think I took it in 1986, then I took and passed the senior exam closed book at the 1987 US Open), does it ask any questions specifically related to RR-guided Swiss events? I’m not sure even the Senior exam specifically covers that.

A well-planned online training program for TDs would need to include a module on that.

It’s the sort of thing that TD’s NEED to know, because sooner or later they’re going to have to direct an event in which the number of players is within 1 or 2 of the number of rounds.

When I was learning to direct, during rounds we’d concoct situations and try to figure out how to pair them.

In my opinion, this rule (and others like it) is MORE important for Local TDs than Senior and above - they are more likely
to run into small sections with too many rounds. A STD or NTD is probably handling either a large section, or one that was
designed as a RR from the beginning.

I think that Local TDs should be urged to run more RR events - Quads and Hexes, for example. They are easier to run
without a computer, and once you have experience with them, it becomes second nature to look at a surprisingly small section and ask “should this be a RR - or something like a RR?”

Consider - you can run Quads without knowing anything about pairing rules. You can run a 100-player, 5 round event with a computer without worrying about whether the computer pairings might cause trouble. The problems all come in small sections that are “too big” for a strict RR (or where late entries and withdrawals make a RR problematic) but are too small for ABC pairing procedures.

I haven’t looked recently - does either SwissSys or WinTD provide support for Rule 29L pairings? I always do them manually, but computer support might help spread the word about the way this style of event makes many pairing conundrums magically disappear.

Back in the day, I used to run a fair number of local one-day events (“First Sunday Quads”), which I ran with only pre-printed pairing/results sheets. Quads (by rating), with a Hex at the bottom when necessary. The Hex could run at a faster speed, and always finished before the Quads. No computer, all rounds “paired” instantaneously…no muss, no fuss. Highly recommended!

As far as I know, both programs routinely fall into the 6-player trap all the time.

Bill Smythe

When one player is clear of the field by 1.5 points or more going into the final round, strong consideration should be given to awarding that player the bye if it permits or improves the remaining pairings.

I give player S the bye here without batting an eyelash. I have no rule support beyond Rule 1A, and I had no such support when I, as assistant TD, recommended the same thing in the final round of the 2010 US Blind. Chief TD Tim Just accepted my recommendation, which I consider high praise in itself.

I once gave the bye to the clear tournament leader in the last round in an early Junior Chess Congress. I was, of course, using 29L, and all other options required either dropping that player 3 score groups (essentially a walk-over) or a repeat pairing. A Policy Board member (and NTD) at the event was apoplectic, until I explained it to him - then he asked “can you write that up for Chess Life?”

No one else complained - the games were reasonably competitive, and everyone was happy. First place was not affected, and there was legitimate competition for 2nd. Win/win. But, only possible because I used 29L from the start.

Note: when using 29L, there’s no need to tell anyone that it’s not a normal Swiss - until there is a strange pairing. Almost always, when that happens, you can hand the pairing cards to the person complaining and say “try to do better!”.

Non-responsive. IF either program had a 29L option, there would be no 6-player trap.

My question was: does either program currently have such a setting?

I thought WinTD had that capability, but only if you tell it in advance how many rounds there are.

So I was responsive, then. Neither program has a 29L option, because if it did, there would be no 6-player trap. Yet both programs routinely fall into the 6-player trap.

Well, actually, I guess you’re quibbling about the difference between a 29L option and a 29L automatic. If it were automatic, there would be no trap, but if the option is there and you don’t use it, then the trap is there for you to fall into if you want to.

Bill Smythe

In the tournament that started this thread, it’s interesting to speculate on the thought processes the organizers must have gone through at the various stages:

Thought #1: “Only 6 players? Then we need to watch out for the 6-player trap. Actually, though, we also have 6 rounds, so there are going to be repeat pairings anyway. So let’s not worry about the trap. If some of the repeat pairings happen already in round 4, it’s not the end of the world.”

Thought #2: “Oh, now we have 7 players? Perfect! Then we can make it a complete round robin, and everything will work itself out automatically!”

Thought #3: “Wait a minute, then we’ll need a 7th round, because everybody will be getting a bye at some point. Let’s just start off pretending it’s a round robin, and stop after 6 rounds.”

Of course, Thought #1 is highly questionable, and Thoughts #2 and #3 are downright wrong. There are just too many “they’ve-already-played-each-other” pairing traps. The Crenshaw-Berger round-robin tables (chapter 12 in the 6th edition rulebook) must be used.

In looking at the Crenshaw-Berger table for 7-8 players last night, I noticed a few things:

• If the rounds are played in order, then Player 8 alternates colors every round, and
  • Players 1-7 each alternate colors every round, except for the round in which they face Player 8, at which time they each have the same color as either the previous or the following round, and
  • Therefore, if there are only 7 players and Player 8 is the bye, then all players alternate colors in every round.

Therefore, when using the table for 7-8 players when there are 7 players, it is highly desirable that Player 8 be the bye.

It is not important that Players 1-7 be in rating order. In fact, rating order is highly undesirable for a couple of reasons. The players should be assigned numbers 1-7 randomly, without regard to ratings.

But Player 8 should still be the bye. That way, players 1-7 each get 3 whites and 3 blacks. If a different number (1-7) is designated as the bye, then at least 1 player (probably 2, maybe 3) will end up with 4 whites and 2 blacks, and a similar number (1, 2, or 3) will end up with 2 whites and 4 blacks. (Work it out for yourself from the table, if you don’t believe me.)

As Ken Sloan pointed out, when using the round robin table to pair what started out as a Swiss, you don’t even need to have assigned numbers 1-7 to the players before round 1. You can do it during or after round 1. Just assign numbers 5 and 3 (white and black respectively) to the players in one of the games, likewise numbers 6 and 2 to the players in a second game, and 7 and 1 to the players in the third game. Assign number 4 to the player who is sitting out this round, i.e. to the player who is “playing” number 8 (the bye).

That way, you align your already-made “Swiss” pairings with the pairings laid out in round 1 of the round robin table.

Then pair all future rounds following the table, round by round. You can even post all the pairings (for all the rounds) when you post round 2, or even while round 1 is still being played.

Even if rounds 1 and 2 have both been paired, before the decision to “go round robin” was made, it should still always be possible to fit the players perfectly (including colors) into two of the rounds in the table. These two rounds might not be 1 and 2, though. They might be 1 and 5, or 3 and 6, or whatever. Doesn’t matter. Then the remaining four (or five) rounds can be played in any order. You might even decide, when choosing which round number to play next, to choose the round where the pairings look most like the ones a Swiss algorithm would have made. Don’t change any colors. Use the colors from the table. Otherwise, you will probably paint yourself into a corner for future rounds.

Don’t wait any longer than round 2 to “go round robin”. If you also pair round 3 Swiss-style before looking at the table, you will likely be out of luck, i.e. you may have already fallen into the 6-player trap (or its 7-player counterpart), and you won’t notice it until you try to pair round 4.

Bill Smythe

WinTD—Pairing Method, RR-Hybrid Swiss. If you want to change from Swiss to RR-Hybrid, you have to do so before pairing round two. (It’s not clear that you can pair two rounds using Swiss methods and find a numbering scheme which makes those work as two rounds out of an RR, so I don’t try).

Per the rule book: “If the number of competitors is odd, the final position in the tournament is a bye”

Per the rule book: “Pairing numbers are assigned by lot at the beginning of the event,…” That, however, is for a straight RR. If you’re doing a RR-hybrid Swiss, the pairing numbers will be systematic based upon ratings (since the first round is paired as a Swiss).

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The hybrid Swiss isn’t doing the rounds in any particular rotation because you are picking the round based upon which is the “Swiss” pairing for the top-ranked player (only). You could very easily be using rounds 1-3-5 which are likely to give someone (perhaps several someones) three straight Whites or three straight Blacks. The rule book calls for you to use standard Swiss methods for assigning colors. It isn’t perfect, but it’s better than your suggestion.

Perfect! Thank you.

Indeed - in the RR-Hybrid Swiss, you pair the first round normally, and then assign pairing numbers to match the first round of the appropriate-size RR table. In subsequent rounds, you try to pair the top player in the top score group “according to Swiss principles” (although, I think that in some rare situations this may be difficult!). Look at the pairing for the top player in the top score group, and select the matching line from the RR table. Ignore colors in the table.

so - it is appropriate to declare that you are using a RR-Hybrid (to WinTD) before pairing R2. Pairing R1 is identical for a Swiss and a RR-Hybrid Swiss.

This usually makes sure that the pairings “look right” for the top player(s) - while creating pairings that look strange (if all you know is Swiss) lower down the wall chart. And, it avoids all of the “small-section traps”.

The only downside is that it requires very little thought, and no opportunity for the experienced TD to be “clever”. Oh, wait…that’s not a but, that’s a feature!

In the past, it was slightly inconvenient to have to type in manual pairings for a pairing program that did not understand this system. WinTD seems to be on board.

Anyone know if SwissSys knows how to do this?