Players allowed to start late regularly

I help a TD friend of mine when he asks. He asks a lot. He has 6-7 regular players(friends) that he allows to come late every single round of every tournament. The other on time players complain to me but since I’m not the regular TD I can’t really do anything. The last tournament the entire upper section started 30 minutes late. Looked ridiculous. I explained to my TD friend allowing these players to be late every round is totally unfair and biased. It’s only a G/90. So complaints are valid. Feedback is welcome.

I’m surprised the other players keep coming back.

Alex Relyea

Is your friend asking for advice about this? Or are you asking for help in convincing your friend to do this right so it doesn’t drive YOU crazy? :laughing:

If your friend really wants this to change (we all know the psychologist/lightbulb joke, right?), here’s what he does: Get the word out to all individuals that the rounds will start at the advertised round times. Then start the rounds on time.

Assuming he knows for sure everyone will arrive eventually, then he pairs them and whoever is there starts his/her clock. If neither player in a pairing arrives on time, then see 16K in the rulebook.

It may be that they don’t need 90 minutes to play their games and don’t care if they lose time. I regularly have players who go on extended lunches or tell me “start the clock without me.” Not that they have to tell me to do that, but you get the idea. Whatever–the clocks start when the posted round times say they are going to start, unless I am running late with pairings.

Some of us don’t have the luxury of letting a few players slow down the tournament. I direct in a tournament space where we have to be out by a certain time so the next group can use the room. I’ve had to be very up-front with people about this. Everybody knows what to expect, and everybody deals with it.

No it’s not driving me crazy but it is sad to see chess players quit over this “tradition” and “friendly” club atmosphere. This club had a healthy 60 some members and now has dwindled to 30. I direct the Pasadena Chess Club running 80-100 players per week. Every clock starts when I say start your clocks. I’m hoping to direct him to Chess Forums and get him to read the comments sent by the meat and potato TD’s of the USCF. It just might have the desired affect. Thanks for commenting.

With luck they won’t quit, just find other venues that can meet expectations.

Alex Relyea

I’m in Switzerland without a US Chess rulebook, so I’m going to hedge what I’m saying here somewhat.

That said, certainly a player has a right to expect his or her game to start on time, absent an extenuating circumstance. I would imagine the rulebook provides documentation of that right and guidelines for what does and does not constitute an extenuating circumstance.

(Yes, there are two different rules with the same title.)

So what’s the proper course of action for a displeased player in such an event? If it were me I would cite this rule and demand that the clock he started when all the other games start. If the TD refused I would file a complaint with the TDCC. If the is favoritism involved an ethics committee complaint night even be warranted but I think I’d go via the TDCC first. Ethics charges should not be taken lightly.

From the account given, this TD needs … something!

Ken’s Kindle version in action again!!

No, not the Kindle version … carbon-based copy and paste! :smiling_imp:

My first inclination would be a complaint to TDCC.

I don’t know. It seems that the director is specifying otherwise. I really think that the only recourse is to walk away.

Alex Relyea

As a player, I have given a late player some grace time. But there are limits. If this is a habitual practice, I would start the clock at the designated time, even over the TD’s objections. If he is displaying favoritism for his buddies in this respect, then he is likely playing favorites in pairings, tie breaks, and prize awards. At least, this would be other players’ feelings and assumptions. It is difficult for a TD to break a bad reputation concerning fairness and competence. Players do take note and have their own lists of places not to play because of a particular TD.

As a TD, especially one asked to assist, I would not hesitate to inform him that he is opening a can of worms for his violations of the rules. Players have the right to expect certain conditions. He has to be made aware that there are not only rules and certification consequences for his actions, but also practical considerations. It has already been noted that players have been driven away. If he cannot see that it is costing money and goodwill, then he is a dunce. Assisting a TD this poor in conduct can only damage your own reputation as a TD. I would decline requests to help him out if this is how he runs his tournaments.

I agree with Mr. Magar in this respect. For various reasons, there are certain organizers I will not work for.

Alex Relyea