Players finished game before round starts.

Michigan Chess Association events don’t have onsite registration??

That’s hard for me to believe.

Most organizers I know would LOVE to have 50 people show up to register onsite, even if it can make late registration run even later.

This was a NON-RATED event, so looking up USCF memberships was not a factor.

Just FYI… The Illinios State Scholastic Championships next month will not have any “late registrations” They are cutting off registration 5 days before the event. gpcf.net/state2005.htm

I don’t think “no onsite registration” is that rare in scholastic events, especially USCF rated events where membership problems end up costing tournament organizers 2X for all games played if there are any problems.

michess.org/tools/viewevent.php3?eventID=715

Nolan, then check one of the next Michigan Chess Association scholastic event. Registration: ADVANCE REGISTRATION ONLY.

Feb 5 2005 Elementary/Primary Team Championships
Feb 12 2005 Junior High Team Championships
Feb 19 2005 High School Team Championships
Mar 19 2005 Michigan Young Children’s Reserve (K-3)
Mar 19 2005 Michigan Children’s Championship (K-5)
Mar 19 2005 Michigan Children’s Reserve (K-5)
Mar 19 2005 Michigan Young Children’s Championship (K-3)
Mar 19 2005 Michigan Childrens Sponsors
Mar 19-20 2005 Michigan Junior (K-12)
Mar 20 2005 Michigan Young Junior Championship (K-8 )
Mar 20 2005 Michigan Junior Sponsors
Mar 20 2005 Michigan Young Junior Reserve (K-8 )

If having nine tournaments in two days, better to have advanced registeration only. Plan for myself to be at the 2005 Michigan Childrens Sponsors and the 2005 Michigan Junior Sponsors. I will need to do a advanced registeration. Its only for the MCA scholastic tournaments only, for advanced registeration.

Michigan Amateur Championship
Michigan Action Championships
Michigan Bottom-Half Class Championships
Michigan Class Championships
Michigan Open Championship
Michigan Quick Championships
Michigan Senior Championship
Michigan Speed Championships
Michigan Women’s Championship

The other “Michigan Chess Association” sponsored events will have onsite registeration.

I think Doug was referring to just scholastic tournaments.

It’s common in Illinois, too, for scholastic events to have no on-site registration. Of course, nobody would even THINK of doing that in a non-scholastic tournament.

Bill Smythe

Only for the scholastic tournaments. As scholastic events needs the support of the scholastic chess coaches, and the support of the parents. Scholastic events will always have logistical problems. If the event is going to have fifty scholastic players or more, being rated or non-rated would use advanced entries only.

Bill Smythe wrote:

Actually, the only tournament I run anymore has no onsite registration and an advance entry deadline about three weeks before the event. That’s because it’s part of a much larger event, now in its 21st year, with over 12,000 participants, but even the last-minute-entry-masters around here have learned that there is NO flexibility in that, if their entry isn’t in by the deadline, they’re not getting in, period.

Since this event seeds two players into the Nebraska Closed Championship, it’s one of the premier events in the state.