Proposed ADM: Quick Chess. Rule 5C.

I am considering submitting the following ADM at the 2011 Annual Delegates Meeting. Comments are welcome.

Bob Messenger
Massachusetts Delegate

In rule 5C (as amended), change G/5 to G/6 in the second sentence. In the TD tip in the amended rule 5C, change the sentence “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/5 to G/9” to read, “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/6 to G/9.”

The intent of this motion is to eliminate the overlap between Quick Chess and Blitz Chess. I will submit separate ADMs to make corresponding changes in rule 5F and in Chapter 11 (Blitz Chess). If all the ADMs are passed the result will be that Blitz Chess will be G/5 only and Quick Chess will be from G/6 to less than G/30. This will make it possible to know what rules are in force (blitz, quick or regular) for a given time control.

That’s a good idea. It eliminates any overlap between quick and blitz, while providing a continuum of possible controls from G/5 all the way up.

Any of the following would do the trick about equally well:

1. blitz G/5, quick G/6 through G/29
  2. blitz G/5 through G/9, quick G/10 through G/29
  3. an in-between approach, such as blitz G/5 through G/7, quick G/8 through G/29

Bill Smythe

Come to think of it, there’s something else I’d like to change in rule 5C. The phrase “G/6 to less than G/30” is a little awkward. Presumably we don’t want to encourage time controls like “Game in 29 minutes 59 seconds” so why not just say “G/6 to G/29”?

Accordingly:

In rule 5C (as amended), in the second sentence change “G/5 to less than G/30” to “G/6 to G/29”. In the TD tip in the amended rule 5C, change the sentence “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/5 to G/9” to read, “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/6 to G/9.”

I wouldn’t do that without adding the rider, “All time controls should be in whole minutes.”

(Says the guy who likes to use a 13:37 time control on the Kiseido Go Server.)

That change should probably go in 5A. I do think that time controls should be in whole minutes, but I don’t think it’s worth changing 5A just for that.

Back around the turn of the century, the club I belonged to used to occasionally use GAME/12 1/2.

Alex Relyea

I actually don’t see a big problem with a G/29:59 d3 time control (though Bill Smythe might want to limit it to G/26:59 d3). It is less than G/30 and thus only quick rated.

It’s not that big a deal, but I do think it’s simpler to say that quick chess is from G/6 to G/29 rather than saying, for example, “from greater than G/5 to less than G/30” or “slower than G/5 and faster than G/30”. I think I’ll submit the ADM the way I have it in my most recent version, and if the majority of people at the Rules Workshop think it should be changed to accommodate time controls with fractional minutes then so be it.

Will the tournament upload software handle this kind of time control? I’m sure someone will try it.

Alex Relyea

Aw, just keep the rules stated in full minutes. If somebody wants to try a fractional time control, just reduce it to the next lower full minute to determine which tournament type it fits into.

Bill Smythe

Here is my proposed ADM again, this time with a rationale. If I submit the ADM I’ll include the rationale as part of it.

In rule 5C (as amended), in the second sentence change “G/5 to less than G/30” to “G/6 to G/29” and add “G/5 is quick rated but is played under Blitz Chess rules (see Chapter 11).” In the TD tip in the amended rule 5C, change the sentence “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/5 to G/9” to read, “Quick Chess was expanded to include G/6 to G/9.”

RATIONALE: This amendment, combined with proposed amendments to Rule 5F (standard delay times) and to Chapter 11 (Blitz Chess), eliminates the overlap between Quick Chess and Blitz Chess and affirms that Blitz Chess tournaments are ratable using quick ratings. Currently Quick Chess is from G/5 to G/29 (or “less than G/30”) while Blitz Chess is from G/1 to G/10. This amendment limits Quick Chess to being from G/6 to G/29. A proposed amendment to Chapter 11 restricts Blitz Chess to being G/5 only.

I forgot to mention that I changed the proposed new rule to have it say that G/5 is quick rated but is played under blitz rules.

After exchanging email with Rules Committee Chairman David Kuhns I’ve decided not to submit this ADM. David pointed out that “FIDE allows blitz up to G/15 (using blitz rules), but standard is G/5”. He himself plays 10 minute blitz, and other people use various time controls other than G/5. Although I think it would be simpler to say that blitz is G/5 only and quick chess is G/6 to G/29 I don’t feel strongly about it, and I don’t think it’s worth spending time at the delegates meeting debating this. There are more important issues.