Questions on scorekeeping

I wasn’t sure what subforum to post this in, but since it’s specific to tournament play, this seemed the most appropriate, even though it’s about playing, not running the tournaments.

I’m just returning to playing chess after a couple of years’ absence. This weekend, I’ll be playing in my first tournament in a while, and I just want to make sure I’m doing everything properly. Since I know things are hectic at the start of a tournament, I wasn’t sure if I’d have time to talk to the TD about this stuff, so I figured I’d ask here instead.

I remember with the introduction of electronic scorekeeping devices (Monroi), there was some debate about writing down your move before making it. I use a paper scorepad, and I always used to write my moves before playing them. Is that still allowed? Or do I have to wait until after playing my move to write it down?

Also, is writing down the time remaining next to moves still allowed? I always used to do that just as a tool to help me study my time management habits when reviewing the game later.

Another stupid question: What’s the proper way to notate a draw offer? I think I remember that you’re supposed to write the offer down, regardless of whether or not it’s accepted, but I was never sure of the proper way to do this in algebraic notation. I think I used to put a little “d” next to the move in the past, but I’m not sure if that’s correct.

Thanks in advance for any information.

If you are using an electronic device then make your move on the board before recording it.
Otherwise, the standard rule for paper scoresheets is also to make your move first and a very commonly used variation (but not universally used) allows players using a paper scoresheet to write before making it as long as the writing does not become note-taking (don’t regularly write - review - change - rewrite).
If a tournament is FIDE rated then it has to use FIDE rules (make your move and only then record it using algebraic notation - don’t use descriptive, something I’ll have to remember if I ever play a FIDE rated event).

As per rule 20C you may record the moves, the clock times, and any draw offers. Recording the moves is mandatory. Recording the clock times and any draw offers is optional. There is no specified manner in which to record the draw offers. Your method seems fine to me.

The accepted way to record draw offers is with an equals sign (=). I agree, however, with Mr. Parker that your method should not cause a problem.

Alex Relyea

It seems to me that an equal sign followed by a question mark would be best for a draw offer. For a draw claim you could use question mark followed by exclam. :slight_smile:

Bill Smythe