Senior Open

When and where is the Senior Open this year? Who is the organizer?

US Chess is organizing the event directly. The announcement is up on the national events catalog. June 5-7. Pomona CA

2.5 to 3 hour drive!! Hmmmmm!

No pesky little kids holding my head under-water! Double-Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

About four hours for me. I’m so there. I love senior tournaments! And even though the junior will be concurrent, I won’t have to play any of those rating point thieves.

I might even win a game! Perhaps two! A man can dream.

http://www.uschess.org/tournaments/2020/sropen/

US CHESS RATE: $165/night (reserve by May 2, 2020)
Each room has a refrigerator, microwave and sofa bed! Every room can sleep 4 people!

Anyone for a room share?

All those seniors at higher risk of serious consequences from CONVID-19. Think before you go.

I know that you mean well, but I refuse to scare myself to death.

It’s not a matter of scaring people to death. It’s a matter of science and sound public health practices. That’s why I listen to people like Dr. Anthony Fauci at the CDC. As a 70 year old, I would think twice about attending this, or any other chess tournament or arts event, until the public health threat of CONVID-19 is resolved or more and better risk information is developed.

Apparently I will miss your company at the 2020 Senior Open. Perhaps next year? :sunglasses:

It’s always nice to meet and break bread with someone you only know through the internet.

Would not have been possible this year due to teaching commitments. I’d consider it if it was on the East coast or Chicago. Maybe even St. Louis so it could be combined with a trip to the chess museum.

Same location next year.

If you can get Vermont to nominate you for the national tournament of senior state champions (I don’t think anyone was nominated last year), that’ll be in St. Louis (suburbs) from 8 to 11 August. It’ll be FIDE rated, also.

Alex Relyea

You are correct that Vermont was not represented last year and that the tournament is FIDE rated. Of course not all the players have a FIDE rating. My first year I won only my third round game (against a C player) and I only played two FIDE rated players.

Possible. Factors other than the desire to go and play chess will decide.

Unfortunately this year’s Senior Open and Junior Open were canceled.

Gosh Darn It, now I have to live another year.

Technically you don’t “have to” unless you want to play in one. :open_mouth:

That said, it is the most advisable option regardless of whether or not you want to play in it. :sunglasses:

Bummer! I was really looking forward to playing in my first Senior Open, just a few hours drive for me. At least, it’s supposed to be in the same place next year.