Submitting Tournaments Online: Missing ID's

I realize that submitting tournaments online is a work in progress, and it is impressive. I have encountered one serious problem, non-technical, that I think needs to be addressed.

We held a scholastic tournament on December 11 with 196 players. 195 of the players either had current ID’s or filled out applications at the tournament. The remaining player had joined at a tournament held by another affiliate on November 20. He had a paper receipt (pink copy) but had not received an ID yet.

I submitted our membership applications online, and submitted the tournament online on December 13. For the missing ID, I submitted an exception request, and provided the tournament date and the affiliate ID that had taken his application.

It is now 6 weeks later, and the tournament still has not been rated because that one player still does not have an ID. Eventually I contacted the other affiliate myself. Apparently the TD had not sent in the tournament report (and presumably the membership applications) until January. (The tournament was November 20.) This is totally out of my control, and out of the player’s control.

In the past, USCF has issued “expired” ID numbers so that the tournament could be rated. I cannot help wondering what would have happened if we had mailed in the results on a disk as in the past. Would it be rated by now? I realize that if I had taken time to harrass the USCF staff, it might have been resolved by now. But that should not be necessary. Even contacting the other affiliate should not have been necessary.

I think some way needs to be found to address missing ID’s other than keeping the tournament in limbo forever. Assigning a temporary ID is about the only solution I can think of.

Bart Mebane
Virginia Scholastic Chess Association

First, thank you for using the online system, and especially for recognizing that it is a work in process and that we’re all learning what works and what doesn’t. (Moving the USCF offices to TN in the middle of the changeover isn’t making life easier, either.)

While this isn’t the proper place to resolve specific membership problems, discussing the underlying issues is appropriate and may help generate some good ideas.

(I’ll look into your events later today. You may also get an automated reminder notice in the next few days, that’s one of the pieces of the puzzle that is just now getting put into place.)

Events being delayed because of missing IDs for new members is not a problem that is specifically caused by TD/A, though it does make the TD far more aware of it. We’ve had this problem for years.

What TD/A does is put the TD in the loop in terms of what happens when there are missing IDs, especially ones from another event. Before TD/A, events would sit unrated for weeks while IDs were tracked down from other events, but the only people who knew what was going on and why were the USCF staff. We call this ‘sharing the frustration’. :slight_smile:

What generally has been happening is that if the membership from the other TD doesn’t show up, eventually the office creates an ID so that your event can be rated. The office refers to this as an X member because the membership letter code for a non-member is ‘X’. Generally we have minimal information on such players, ie, no address or birthdate. Usually they assume the player is from the same state as the tournament, though that’s not always a correct assumption.

Creating an X member makes it possible for your event to be rated, but that doesn’t really solve the basic problem, and in some ways it makes the problem worse.

Why? Because when (or if) the other membership does show up, there has been a pretty good chance that it isn’t associated with the X member created to rate your event, which means we now have duplicate IDs for that person. Fixing that can be very time-consuming, especially if both IDs wind up with a rating. (That’s also why creating ‘temporary’ IDs is a bad idea, because there is no such thing as a temporary ID.)

We’re still working on when and how to implement the X member process for events submitted online. Part of the problem is that since it was submitted online, we don’t have the paperwork sitting on someone’s desk as a reminder that the event hasn’t been rated yet. That’s why we’re in the process of setting up the automated reminder system, which is intended to remind both the TD and the office staff that the event is still in limbo.

A related issue is when there is a former member who renewed at another event (or claims he/she did). That’s really a somewhat different issue than the new member problem because in this case we DO have a USCF ID, which increases our options for how to resolve the problem, both for your event and for the member. The Membership Exception Request system has several ways of addressing that problem, there aren’t as many options available for new memberships.

Long term, if more TDs submit their memberships online that will help everyone. You’ll know what the new ID is, the member will start getting his membership benefits faster, and in most cases the submitting TD can get a $2 discount by submitting the membership online.

Even if the submitting TD uses the ‘payment by check’ option, at least we have all the information on the member, which we can use to assign an ID. While we don’t publish those IDs on MSA, the office staff can look them up when they review membership exception requests, and they will usually show up if you do a ‘lookup’ through the TD/A membership module.

In my original specifications for the online system, I wanted to publish those pending memberships on MSA, complete with the information on what TD issued them and when, so that the member and other TDs know who to blame. (Shame is a powerful motivator!)

That part of the proposal wasn’t approved, which led to the system we have now, where the ID exists, we just don’t tell people about it on MSA.

Wish that was approved, there is aways a email campaign, emails are a powerful motivator – since were in a election cycle.

This might not work and is just another thing that would end up on Nolan’s desk if it were to happen, but I have an idea that might help enourage TDs to submit tournament reports in a timely manner.

For every TLA, assign a tournament ID that would include the date of the tournament in the field. This could be checked against the current date on a weekly basis (since most tournaments are on weekends) to see if it has finished. Then the file would be aged on a daily basis. Set up a limit, say 2 weeks, before the TD is notified that it’s time to turn in the report.

The problem of TDs taking a long time to turn in reports is, I suppose, not a new problem. Now that it’s possible to do it online the time frame for doing so should be even shorter. And although it might not be enforceable, it would be nice to fine those TDs who donot do so in a timely manner.

Just one scheme that might help the system run a little smoother!

Radishes

PS BTW, Nolan, I think you’re doing a great job! Keep it up!!

They used to do this, mostly because at one time the TLA was free if the ratings fee for the event exceeded a predetermined amount based on the number of lines in the TLA. However, what happened in too many cases was that the TLA was never linked to a rating report and as a result the TLA wound up being free anyway.

These days perhaps only 25% of the events that the USCF rates have a TLA. In the past, I doubt that percentage was ever much higher than around 50%. When the new online TLA system gets going, I’m hopeful that we will be able to get TLAs for about 75% of the events.

We will probably start assigning Event IDs to TLA’s at that time so that we can connect TLAs with rated events as a way of measuring their impact.

We do show the date of the event, the date the report was received, the date it was processed and the date it was rated.

If I go back to the mid 1990’s, the average lag from ‘received’ to ‘rated’ was generally around a week. In 2004 it was probably more like 3 weeks. Once the new ratings system is fully implemented the lag between ‘received’ and ‘rated’ could be measured in hours or minutes for some events submitted online.

BTW, it looks like the first rate on the new programming will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. (Feb 1 or 2nd.) I’m still looking for what appears to be a roundoff difference between the old programming and the new programming for those with provisional ratings.

As of earlier this week, the office is able to enter and validate events received in the mail, though we ran into a few glitches that I think have been corrected at this point.

But until they get more familiar with the new programming that process will be slower than under the old system.