Teaching Chess

Ken Sloan wrote from another topic.

I think this drift from the topic that it was in deserves its’ own topic.

For example how do you handle students not showing up on time? For instance if the class is scheduled for 2 o’clock do you start immediately or do you have a little fluffy stuff (Like reviewing what was covered last week.)

Start the class on time - sure! Starting late only encourages more lateness.

Reviewing what as covered last week, is not fluffy.

All the best, Joe Lux

I have a class of 1st graders that meets at lunch time. Kids come in late because they’ve had to go pick up lunch. I usually get my self set up, and have the kids eat. Once I’m set up, then I ask kids what we did last week. I get some some decent answers at times, and other times nobody remembers. I think it’s very important to review the previous week’s material, especially because I’m building on it for the current week’s material.

I personally don’t like the pawn game, because when other pieces are introduced they’re still just moving the pawns. When I watch two kids playing and one is just moving pawns then I know that kid doesn’t really remember how the other pieces move. I’ll tell the kid, "Move that bishop out. They might move it from f8 to f7, or if they do remember it moves diagonally go from f8 to c4. Staying on the same color with bishop moves is hard for some kids.

What do you do about the kids that have missed lessons?

How do you handle the range of skills between the students if they have to be in the same group?

I think almost every kid has a gene that compels them to play the “Eight Pawn Attack”. Maybe we should let them get it out of their system as early as possible, hopefully by being crushed by their opponent.

There’s nothing to break kids of the Rampaging Rook habit like playing 1.h4 d5 2.Rh3 Bxh3 3.a3 e5 4.Ra3 Bxa3 against them half a dozen times.

…if that’s how you want to treat kids in a learning environment.

Logical consequences. Telling kids not to do something is only effective when you show them why not.

Tell them how to do something first, and explain the benefits.