The latest Incident of Cheating

en.chessbase.com/post/yet-anothe … g-in-chess

It’s always a sad day when someone cheats. It’s incredible how small ear pieces have gotten.

I remember a few years ago when someone used an earpiece that was designed to look like a hearing aid. But now they’ve become so small that the only way it could be detected is if someone was basically being frisked down and the observer was actively looking inside a person’s ear canal.

IIRC, George W. was accused of using a a micro receiver in his ear during a presidential debate.

mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/cove … 126786.cms

Again, moderately clever technically. But only moderately. Tiny receiver inside the ear? Clever. A cell phone taped to each leg? Primitive.

BUT, stupidly implemented.

One more time, into the spotlight by playing too well, too soon. If the confederate coordinating things on the other end had been clever enough to select worse moves, even some mistakes…

How many more are out there with a bit of patience and perspective?

Stupidity does cause most miscreants to get caught, but I think you’ve hit on a serious problem—those more circumspect who are not getting caught.

More problematic for those of us with hearing aids is that you can now buy hearing aids with bluetooth functionality built in. It will be interesting to see what the big tournaments do about this in the next few years. Personally, I’ll probably just start taking them out before a game anyway, to avoid any possible issues. If someone wants a draw, I’ll bring a nerf bat and tell them to hit me on the head with it.

Perhaps they could write you a note…er…um… :laughing:

LOL! I just got a solicitation in the mail today to have a free hearing exam and a consultation regarding the latest hearing aid technology, including bluetooth.

Evidently GM Morozevich has similar thoughts. The known cheaters (caught mostly through clumsy execution or their own impatience) are just the tip of the iceberg.

quoted from GM Spraggett’s blog.

Tip o’the Iceberg dept:

Chess.com reports two FMs were disqualified for cheating in the latest “Titled Tuesday” event. One of 'em had a draw with Nakamura, which was later changed to a win for Naka.

chess.com/news/three-tie-aft … ay-10-3867

More details:

chess.com/blog/DanielRensch/ … n-chesscom

It was an FM and an IM but with all the baby GM level players I guess this is a trivial difference.