The Torre Attack

Hey, I have been out of the game for some time and I am starting to get active again. Since the only club in my area currently meets on nights I am not available, I was hopeing for some imput to improve my game. When I was on the Chess team in high school our coach taught us all the Torry attack and suggested we use it. It is currently the only opening for white I know. What are your thoughts on the Torre and why?

I’d say run out and buy the book “Reasses Your Chess”. If you really take the time to go through that, then you’ll understand the “why” of each move in chess, and what any particular opening is trying to accomplish. Or at least, better understand when you study openings they types of positions its trying to achieve.

For years, before I went through that book, I’d try and learn a new opening by memorizing a few moves, and trying to “get a feel” for the positions that arise. Needless to say, after going through the book “Reasses Your Chess”, I really started to understand chess. Sadly, due to various factors, I need to redo all the lessons, since I’ve forgotten most of them now. :blush: Its been years since I did it though, so no biggie.

As for “whats the best opening”, openings are alot like hollywood pop culture: Whichever openings the top players in the world are using currently, tend to be the most popular. Kasparov certainly made the Sicillian Najdorf a powerful defence. Fischer was a master at the Roy Lopez and Sicilian Defence.

And don’t discredit openings that were popular in the 1930’s to the 1950’s, any opening championed by a top 10 player in the last 80 years is viable for anybody under 2500. Some of the best opening theory originated in the hypermodern era. Capablanca, Fine, Reti, Tal (to name just a few) are all historical players that excelled in chess and made great strides for the game, not just in opening theory I mean.

The suggestion of the book " reassess your Chess" is excellent. I personally like the Yugoslav with white. And the Caro Kann with black.