The Vital Importance Online US Chess Events

Before Covid19, I was as rock solid as anyone opposed to online events. As old a dinosaur as there was in my prehistoric thinking.
The difference was at that time, it was not as great a detriment to the growth of US Chess to have such a mentality. My, my, my, Have
things changed. With the very able help of chess partners such as Chesskid.com, Chess.com and ICC, Chess has remained ALIVE
throughout this great land. Sure their are isolated islands of OTB chess, most run with remarkable dedication, but nevertheless
fairly small attendances, but the mainstay has been online chess.

Finally partnerships with some of the above entities are starting to produce some revenues, and generate both renewals and

new US Chess memberships. We have been VERY Proactive in online chess events since about last April in the North Texas area,
just recently completing a six day, 5 round Game/15+5 Quick Online rated event, or Six tournaments in Six days (depending on the
perspective). This fine event was organized by the incredible Sixty-Four Squares US Chess Affiliate.

Through the last week, well over a dozen memberships have either been purchased anew, rejoined, or renewed. About two 

weeks ago the Texas Chess Federation in cooperation with Chesskid.com held our 2020 TCA/Chesskid.com Online Rated Scholastic
Championships. Close to 800 youths participated.

While not suggesting that online chess will ever be a replacement for OTB events, far from it, Online is the MAIN STAY right

now, and this is likely to be the case until very late Spring 2021 (at least).

I heartily encourage each and everyone of you players and organizers alike to embrace online chess. No it is not the "steak" 

that OTB offers, but hamburger right now taste pretty good.

Respectfully, 
      Rob Jones

If on-line chess is hamburger I’ll opt for vegetarianism, thank you.

To each his own.

I’ve played quick and regular OTB time controls but never dual. I have directed dozens of non-scholastic tournaments with dual controls and have no problem with others playing them. I have not played in on-line events but I’ve worked them and have no problem with others playing them. People can make their own choices and as long as they allow others to choose as well then it is fine. (and your post did only say what your choice was, implying that others can choose for themselves).

Mr. Parker, a comment - OTB chess will for a while at least be DOMINATED by those who have been playing consistently online during
the Covid19 period. We are already starting to see a very clear picture of this at several OTB tournaments (though still small) lately.

1100 players defeating 1700++ not at all uncommon as quite often the kids have been playing online like crazy, and those who have not ben are quite rusty.

Ah the Jurassic age. Perhaps wonderful for a time, but the dinosaurs are extinct. A lack of openness to new ideas, new marketing strategies, etc. Let’s kick the bucket on the old, and in with the new. The survival of our federation may depend on it.

“To each his own” is a sentiment with which I completely agree. I don’t want any part of on-line chess myself for a number of reasons, but if others want to play in on-line tournaments that’s fine. On-line chess is pretty much all there is now, I get that, and at my urging our state chess organization, of which I am President, is sanctioning an on-line scholastic tournament next month. I won’t be involved, but I hope it does well.

I’m fine with others playing on-line chess, and am actively encouraging it on a couple of fronts for those so inclined. I just don’t want to do it myself.

Most of this was already true before COVID. At my most active, I played in about one OTB tournament a month (and considerably less than that in recent years), and many of my opponents played online on a daily basis. I would regularly run into strong players who had either never played OTB before, or not for many years – but had been playing a lot online. I’m OK with this – I can enjoy playing without the need to win every game. Also, there are other ways to hone your skills (Cecil Purdy liked to tell of a man who won his national championship after “playing” nothing but solitaire chess for years before the event).

Like Mr. Parker, I have no problem with others playing online, but have no desire to do so myself. I don’t think this has anything to do with a “lack of openness to new ideas”-- there are just numerous things I don’t like about playing online. One of them is that the vast majority of events are at quick (or even faster than that) time controls, and I never liked those time controls OTB either. I can’t play decent chess unless I have time to think, and if I can’t at least attempt to play decent chess, what’s the point? I have no interest in trading time-trouble blunders with my opponent – and at quick time controls, you’re in time trouble as soon as the game starts. Cheating is also a big problem, and anti-cheating measures can cause their own problems. If you’re required to be “on camera” for the entire game, how do you go to the bathroom (a frequent necessity for old men like me, especially at longer time controls)? Sorry, but I want no part of it. I will wait for the return of OTB chess at what I consider normal time controls (G/90 or longer, with delay or increment). If that return takes years (or even if it doesn’t happen at all in my lifetime), it’s not the end of the world. I have many other hobbies.

As for US Chess, I’m confident that its survival does not depend on me playing online chess.

Online play (to keep one’s skills fresh) and online tournaments are not necessarily the same thing.

I think the rigamarole of serious online tournaments (video camera, etc) would drive me nuts.

+1

, +2.

though i do enjoy playing the 3 day/move online games, i have really no desire to enter “live” online tournaments.

…scot…

It’s just too fast for me. Game/15 or Game/20 might work for me, but no one wants to play that s-l-o-w.

I need the physical presence of an opponent, otherwise “on-line chess” is “disposable chess”.

YMMV, and probably does.

One of my otb friends is now playing only G-10 games online at Lichess. This is doing nothing for the quality of his chess game. He claims he can’t find the time to do long games. His actual problem is an inability to say to wife and grandson that he needs an hour or so of uninterrupted time to play chess online…

There are CCA events being run at various t/c’s There is a 120 d10 @ end of the month;
many are 75 d10 at least 40 d10