Today in chess I ...

A place to post ones daily chess activities/interesting games and anything chess related.

I’ve been playing lately using the Social Chess app on my iPad/iPhone. It has really reignited my enthusiasm for the game.

One thing I’ve noticed is that most players seem to use computers to make their moves for them. This puzzles me because one doesn’t improve this way.

My point is do most people now play using computers when playing online or is it frowned upon as bad form?

Yes

It really depends. Some sites have extensive cheat filters that detect the use of computer assistance and will actively ban users that depend on computers for their moves instead of their own skill. Other sites take the attitude that it’s going to happen and don’t bother, figuring if you use your computer, then you don’t get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and that’s a good enough control. Generally, the rules are spelled out in the site’s user agreement.

I play correspondence via ICCF. In ICCF play, computer assistance is allowed.

Uncritically following a computer in engine assisted play is almost as suicidal as not using one at all. ICCF play is a good way to find the blind spots of various engines–and blind spots are common.

This weekend, I finished a 17 month ICCF game in which my engine swore I was more than a pawn worse for the last 20 or so moves. Instead of following the computer’s recommendation of a slightly worse endgame, I used the computer to confirm that its recommendation almost certainly lost. I chose a path panned by the engine, which ultimately led to me having king and dark squared bishop against king, light squared bishop, and two pawns. The engine gave me -1.75. Basic Chess Endings (and, admittedly, the Nalimov tablebase) gave me a draw.

The point is that there are challenges to be found in engine assisted research and play, and that these challenges can improve one’s non-assisted play.

I was wondering about players using computers because I’ve run across some young players who seem very strong for their ages. I know there are good young players but it seems they’re all lied up to play me. :open_mouth:

I’m curious about this; if you reach a position covered by the tablebase, is that ruled an automatic draw (or win/loss), and playing on is considered as silly as playing K+B vs K? Can you ‘get the TD’ (whatever the correspondence equivalent of that is) to call the game, or are you expected to play it out, even though the perfect moves are already known?

How does one obtain a tablebase?

I use the interface on the web site for Shredder:

shredderchess.com/online-che … abase.html

It has solutions for 3 through 6 chessmen.

The game is not automatically over when a tablebase position is reached–a player can continue play for any reason or for no reason until the criteria for a draw given in FIDE’s Laws of Chess are given.

That said, my opponent accepted my offer of a draw almost immediately when I noted that the tablebase said it was a draw.

Well, this thread got off topic quickly, didn’t it? :unamused:

I really think computer cheating on sites that don’t allow it isn’t nearly as widespread as the rumors. I’ve never used a computer to help with my moves in internet play, but I’ve been accused of it a couple of times when I just happen to have a good game. Usually, if I have a dominating enough game to be accused of this, it’s just because my opponent made a bad blunder, and I’m good enough to punish it. This actually happened recently, when an opponent walked into a really bad line of an opening I was just studying, then accused me of cheating and offered a draw once he was down two pieces heading into the endgame. :laughing:

But really, to read discussions like this on internet forums about computer cheating, you’d think half the players out there are using Rybka to make all their moves. I suspect it’s probably only 1 or 2%. I’m sure there are cheats out there, but I’m also sure it’s not as widespread as internet rumors would have you believe.

So, getting back to the original topic…

Today in chess, I pulled out a book I’m reading and magnetic chess set to play through a master game on the train during my morning commute. I’ll probably do the same on my way home. I really feel this is one of the big advantages of having moved to a major city with good public transportation - my commuting time isn’t wasted driving a car. I think this extra time to read (or do chess puzzles!) is part of why I’ve gotten back into the game recently after a break of more than a year.

From per, there is no off topic in this topic. It’s about what people are thinking/doing relating to chess.

I’m currently reading/studying Jeremy Silman’s How to Reassess Your Chess 4th Ed.

I’m getting back into chess again as well and I picked this up recently. It has problems highlighting various strategic and tactical principals. Very helpful in getting ones mind back into chessthink.