Tournaments with no clock?

Did you see what I wrote about the DGT NA?

There are players and TDs who actually like having no delay or increment, but regardless of whether one is of that persuasion or not, a properly designed tournament should always specify what the delay/increment setting is, even if d0, so that there is no ambiguity or reliance upon defaults that some people might not know about.

I suspect most players and TDs are not too bothered about the way the DGT NA displays delay, as long as the delay is 5 seconds or less. But once you get to a 10-second delay, or worse yet, a 30-second delay, the problems increase.

Bill Smythe

I’m not sure why anyone would run a d30 event, but people do According to MSA there were 21 of them in 2016, 30 in 2017 and 10 in 2018.

One wonders how many of those were really increment and just specified incorrectly in MSA.

One feature I particularly like about that clock is the full five-digit time display (that is, h:mm:ss) instead of the “three-and-a-half digits” (h:mm until the remaining time falls under 20 minutes, then 1m:ss or m:ss – the fixed “1” between 10:00 and 19:59 is the “half digit”). I would recommend the clock, and I would strongly recommend it if not for one misfeature: like the Saitek clock, it indicates delay by replacing the player’s time with a countdown (“5”, “4”, …). At least it is better than the Saitek in that it only displays the single digit for countdown instead of 0:05, 0:04, 0:03 … (which is easy to mistake for the player’s remaining time, especially when the player only has a few seconds left of base time).

(Sorry if this is difficult to read. Describing clock displays without pictures is challenging.)

Thanks for all the good suggestions folks!