Who won?

There actually is a screen for both players and the arbiter to sign.

This is about the 3rd or 4th instance of a game continuing that I have hear about this year. I previous games, it appeared that the game ended but a player claimed that the agreed to play out the game to see who would have won the endgame. They also continued to keep score and played in the tournament hall. Did they continue to keep score and use the clock in this instance?

I really want to give both a zero for ignoring chess rules. Hopefully that would get the word out not to continue a game.

I agree with GeneM that a player should follow the rules of chess and this includes enforcing touch move even if not doing so is better for him. Reminds me of a story from a scholastic event that Joan tells. Player A (girl) makes a move that drops her Queen. She smiles and asks " Can I please take that move back?" Boy agrees. Several moves later, the boy drops a piece and asks if he can take the move back. The girl says “Sorry, that’s against the rules.”

So lets see…Player B makes a legal move and releases the piece. I then read about an acknowledgement but not an actual checkmate which would have rendered the rest of this game an analysis session. I would rule a double forfeit. My reasoning is that it is illegal to grant favors (overlook checkmate on purpose) in a tournament game. Obviously, player B does not deserve to win and neither does player A in this instance, as described. It would also serve a pedagogical function as well, highlighting to other players the penalty for “mercy”.

So lets see…Player B makes a legal move and releases the piece. I then read about an acknowledgement but not an actual checkmate which would have rendered the rest of this game an analysis session. I would rule a double forfeit. My reasoning is that it is illegal to grant favors (overlook checkmate on purpose) in a tournament game. Obviously, player B does not deserve to win and neither does player A in this instance, as described. It would also serve a pedagogical function as well, highlighting to other players the penalty for “mercy”.

I agree. There are not enough 0-0 results in the tournaments, and too many 1-0.5 results. Skittles play is one thing, but in an official tournament, points should be hard to come by and treasured.

Sometimes one needs to learn the consequences of foolishness. And playing deliberately outside of the boundaries of the rulebook and then expecting to be rescued by the rules is foolishness.

Rob Jones

I have mostly worked Scholastic tournaments. Of the few open tournaments I’ve worked, I have not had to adjudicate a touch-move claim.

When I have witnessed a touch move violation (as I said, only in scholastics has this happened), then I have enforced the rule without considering whether the move was a good one or a bad one. At that level, I am more concerned with their learning the rules – and the touch move is as much a rule as how the pieces move.

Well, that’s likely to get you reversed on appeal.

Alex Relyea

I don’t get it, I must be missing something. What’s wrong with enforcing the touch-move rule?

I believe this is the missing link, so to speak.

Nothing’s wrong with enforcing the touch-move rule, if the opponent asks you to. If my opponent touched a piece, then made a move with a different piece that allowed mate in one, I’d be pretty upset if a wandering TD forced him to move the piece originally touched.

Alex Relyea

The fun part comes when a player makes a move while the opponent is away from the board, hits the clock to complete the move, and then decides to change the move. At that point it can be seen as shifting from a touch move violation to illegally making three moves in a row (the original move, the reversal, and then the final move).

Usually, the second move hasn’t been made yet. If I happen to see a player hold a piece on a square for a while, then put it back, I’ll keep an eye on him and catch him when he goes to move another piece. (And in most cases, these kids are in the 100-300 level. Much above that level, they remember the rule without me.)