Advice for running online US Chess rated tournaments

I’m starting this topic as a place to share advice for running online US Chess rated tournaments. The irony is not lost on me that I am offering advice as a TD who has never run an online tournament and who has no intention of doing so. My perspective is shaped by my experience as the current chair of the Rules Committee and as a member of the Ethics Committee. As such, some of what I write may be somewhat indirect.

1. Have tournament-specific regulations.

Have them. Be very detailed. These are the regulations used for the national invitational championships this summer. Are they detailed? Yes. Should you have this level of detail? Yes. You may not need every regulation that was specified for the national invitationals, but my advice is to start with that level of detail and consider very carefully what you don’t need.

I also recommend having the players in your tournament agree to abide by the tournament-specific regulations before participating in the tournament.

2. Educate your players.

Chapter 10 (Internet Chess) of the Official Rules of Chess was completely rewritten as of September 1, 2020. (The revised rules are included in the chapters of the Official Rules of Chess freely available to download from the US Chess web site here.) As a TD, of course, you should study these rules carefully well before your tournament. However, I would also recommend explicitly providing your players a link to the rules as well.

3. Be concerned about platforms that will terminate a player’s ability to play in the tournament as soon as the platform’s fair-play detection flags a violation.

It’s fine for a platform to have a policy of “we’ll terminate your playing privileges as soon as you trip our fair-play algorithms, and you can appeal and have your account restored if we’re wrong” for their own tournaments. US Chess requires due process protection for players in US Chess rated tournaments. If you are running US Chess rated tournaments on such a platform, negotiate with the platform to see if this (mis)feature can be disabled for your tournament.

4. Be very careful about accusations of cheating.

A platform’s fair-play algorithm detecting a violation is not enough to support an assertion that a player has cheated. It is fine (and A Good Thing) to treat it as a very serious indication that attention needs to be paid to the situation, but due process demands more evidence to support such an accusation. During the tournament, have a TD give the TD more scrutiny if possible. Review any available recording of the player. If the TD is a sufficiently strong player, review the games; otherwise, seek review of the games by highly rated players. Consider submitting the games in question for expert fair-play review.

If the available evidence strongly supports a clear conclusion that a player cheated, consider filing a complaint with the office. (The complaint will likely be directed to the Ethics Committee.)

5. Keep records documenting everything.

This is probably good advice for TDs in all situations, but especially in the world of online play where a TD may be isolated and not have colleagues to help refresh memories later, nothing beats a paper trail documenting the TDs rulings and reasons for those rulings should a question arise later.

6. Consider whether the TD staff is sufficient.

If you are monitoring players remotely, it is easy to underestimate the staff required to provide adequate supervision. Put another way: properly monitoring players in a Zoom meeting is more resource intensive than you may at first think. This is still new territory for most TDs. Be conservative in your planning.

+1

You confused me. Don’t some of the sites which US Chess already endorsed terminate an account’s ability to play as soon as they detect a violation? As a practical matter, this action usually occurs after the tournament ends. However, I recall one account was closed mid-tournament. There are also multi-day and multi-week events where an account may be closed between rounds.

Are you suggesting not organizing tournaments on these widely used sites?

Michael Aigner

I’m “suggesting” that with at least one such site, there are reports of an organizer successfully negotiating that no player’s right to play would be terminated mid-tournament as a result of an allegation of fair-play violation. I’m definitely saying that there is a serious due process issue for players participating in US Chess rated events.

Of course, if a TD does have clear evidence mid-tournament of fair play violation beyond the platform’s algorithm flagging the player, evidence that would clearly protect the right to due process, then the TD would be fully justified in ejecting the player from the tournament (exactly as he would be in over-the-board play).

The cases that I’m aware of where this has happened (CCA), even though it was mid-tournament, it was not a dismissal based on immediate detection. It was actually confirmation of a pattern over multiple tournaments. In that case there is no reason to further degrade the current tournament.

This is very true. I’ve been a TD for a few online events over zoom now. Keeping track of all the players is not easy. When you’ve got over 200 players/cameras in the zoom call it gets interesting. There are a couple features that Zoom is lacking that would make this easier - seemingly obvious features to me, but I digress.

The combination of both facial view plus side view cameras can have even a category C event (50-99 players) push that 200 mark once you add the section chief, pairing chief, overall chief and host-platform personnel. A commonly used version of zoom allows up to 25 cameras on a page, so even a category D event (<50 players) can require checking four (maybe even five) pages.

With all of the online chess events occurring, I thought I’d do a little bit of research about online chess cheating methods. I came across four different Chrome extensions which either make move suggestions or will just flat out play the moves for you. Several of them promise to play human-like moves and no stronger than 2300 playing strength. What can be done to combat this scourge against honest online chess?

Free
chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … edkloonigi

Free
chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … ecoapohjlb

$6/month
chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … pehdbpfgpo

$17/month, $40/3 months, $95/1 year, $195/lifetime
chess-bot.com/

Fair-play algorithms endorsed by US Chess should be able to catch usage of these extensions. Require players to share their screen. Video monitoring using two cameras (one facing the player and one at an angle with a view including the monitor or laptop display).

Is this practical? I’m fairly competent with technology, but I’m not sure how I would manage to share my screen and two camera views all at the same time. I’m not aware of any conferencing software that lets a person share two videos simultaneously (though I confess I’ve never tried it, so perhaps I just haven’t experienced it).

It’s already being done that way, isn’t it, in some of the larger events recently?

Bill Smythe

With two camera views?

The second camera view is usually a cell phone while the first is the laptop. Both sign in to the zoom room.

This just seems a bit crazy to me. Perhaps I’m not as competent as I thought. I would have trouble getting either my phone camera or my laptop to be behind me easily in a reliable way.

I assume TDs would be accommodating to such challenges? (For instance, if I lean my phone against some books and it later falls over…) I have a stand I could use for the phone, but it’s angled up too high – you would just barely see what’s left of my hair on the bottom of the screen. I suppose the laptop behind and to the side might work, assuming I play on a separate monitor.

Do you mean you sign in from the phone and laptop as separate identities? Or can one user sign in twice?

I think I’m glad I am waiting for over-the-board play to resume…

I am able to log into Zoom twice on the same account, once from my desktop and the other from my smart phone. Two separate images under the same account name appear in the Zoom meeting. I also have a separate Zoom account for my laptop under a different email but with the same name.

You can see examples of an angle camera on various websites. Here are two:

new.uschess.org/news/pnwcc-g60-online-masters
chessclub.com/cca/zoom

The rules for official events run by FIDE (e.g. Olympiad, World Youth, Paraolympiad) allow the arbiter to ask a player to rotate the camera or even give a brief tour of the surrounding room.

Michael Aigner

Those readers who actually read the national tournament regulations to which I referred in the original post would see that that was exactly what was required of all participants in those tournaments.