Alternative to Correspondence Chess?

Hi guys,

I was thinking on joining a Correspondence Chess Tournament, but when I read the overviews I see that it takes years to complete each phase of a tournament. I was wondering if there’s a quicker alternative to CC out there. I mean, obviously, there are normal game tournaments, but I was wondering if there is something in between, with a duration similar to the games one can play on gameknot.com but with official recognition and rating.
Thanks!!

David

Many of the correspondence players are going to correspondence servers (where you log in to see your opponent’s move and then log back in when you’re ready to make your next move) or playing by email because it cuts down the transit time on moves.

The USCF offers rated email correspondence tournaments and uses the ICCF server for one type of rated correspondence event (the Walter Muir E-Quads.) We’re looking into setting up our own correspondence chess server.

It only takes years for the super-serious stuff with long time controls. Lots of servers have tournaments with quite short time controls. One nice server is playchess.de that offers (5 days + 1 day/move) or (10 days + 2 days/move) tournaments. How much time you need will depend on how much analysis you do and how many tournaments you want to enter. Just look around for a server that offers a time control that looks reasonable for you.

I believe the question was whether there was a way to play quicker USCF rated matches. I also would be very much interested in this.