Can We Do More??

I have run 4 $ 1,000 Plus cash events as the organizer, and dozens more as either the TD or TD assistant. Quite a few of these had razor thin profit margins (if any at all), and quite a few of those that broke even wold not have except for the additional revenues from the scholastic side event.

A very few complained about the noise they on occasion heard
from the scholastic side event. We did have the sections
partitioned, but still, there was a little additional noise.

I sweated, as quite a few organizers have until the final bell of
the tournament with nightmares of personally covering the red
ink. I provided coffee and a fruit basket complementary at my
events. We ran out of both despite my best intent, the hotel
replacement costs were sky high. Neither benefits were advertised as perks. Simply provided as a thank you to those
coming. Still some complained when we ran out towards the
end of some of the events.

Nearly all of the participants were delighted with the opportunity such local events provided. I have learned over the years, however, that one can rarely please all.

Can we do more to better host events?? Of course. But at
some point, there has to be some sort of regard for the net
profit margins.

Rob Jones

Sorry that happened, Rob. I hate it when people complain about something they’re getting free. Some people are just ingrates.

Maybe you can help me with my plans. How do you guys figure out your prize funds? Do you guarantee them, or base on entries? What type of EF are you needing for these and how many entrants? Do you always run scholastics with these, and do you offer concessions for the players?

I’ve tried all sorts of things over the decades, and I haven’t found a good answer yet :blush: I’d love to offer $1K prize events, but with no backup money to cover a shortfall, it just seems impossible around my area.

I hope I didn’t hijack the intention of your thread.

Rob, I have found that offering such little perks is accepted gratefully by most participants. Having coffee and donuts, an array of snacks, or a selection of coffee, teas, and pure water is a nice idea that I have seen practiced in a few places. The first time I saw it was in Canada, where some organizers do this as a courtesy and the players do not abuse it. I have suggested the same idea to a number of TD/organizers who have taken up the practice with success and their entries increased. Over the long haul it has broad ramifications for the success of your tournaments and the respect the participants have for you and those who work with you.

Unfortunately, there are a few players who are cheap pigs who eat all of the stuff, don’t put any money into the donation jar, and then complain when the freebies run out. Ignore their complaints, but make sure to let everyone know what pigs they are. Let the players and/or the parents berate them for their boorish behavior. If the pig does not come back, then you are ahead. Have seen that happen. Just don’t stop your policy of courtesy and respect for the players because of a couple of bad apples.