Chess Lawyers

LOL!
:laughing:

Chess lawyers, I love it! Thank God for Tim Just, a breath of fresh air around here, let me tell you. I think Tim just put everyone back in their place and gives a good perspective on the TD questions recently raised on this forum.

Thanx,
AJG

Dear Garcia:

When does the certification of being a chess coach ends. If you are a certification as a chess coach you can still have scholastic rated events. The only difference with a club tournament director and a chess coach, for a rated tournament a chess coach can only have scholastic players. The club you have only has scholastic players, you could still have a tournament even if there is a problem with re-newing your club certification level. Knowing the federation there should not be a problem.

Earnest
Douglas M. Forsythe, local td, chess lawyer

That’s a good question, Douglas! Does the Chess Coach Certificate expire too? Oh boy, so many expiration dates, so little time!

You know, you reminded me of something. My students could join the USCF as JTPs (Junoir Tournament Player) for only $5 per year, right? They still get a USCF ID and Rating. Then I could run scholastic events but only with kids from the one school.

I’d really want to expand to other local schools and some local adult USCF members. I’ve always wanted to get my kids together with seniors (>65 years of age). You know, I’d run some sort of Junior/Senior club where they could get to know eachother, learn from eachother and enjoy themselves with some good clean fun. There’s a bit of a bad gang element starting to encroach in our area, we could offer a good alternative, don’t you think?

Regards,
AJG

Who and WHAT is a chess lawyer??? :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning: :astonished: :open_mouth: :confused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :angry: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :bulb:

That would be me, it was the statement that ‘Tim Just’ gave. My style of thinking has been outside the box; making others to let go of past ideas: just to make them look at a different angle.

If you’d ever been to a TDCC or Rules workshop at the US Open, you’d learn that there are MANY chess lawyers out there.

They are the ones who argue incessantly about the meaning of a comma on some page of the rule book. A little common sense outweighs a lot of commas.

That is true: some of the theories of the rules they talk about ‘never or are so uncommon’ that they never come up during the tournament. They just come into the minds of directors (like myself) that have no life outside of chess.