Clock Update - Chronos? DGT? Other?

I’m just getting back into tournament play, and at some point in the future will get back into FIDE play also. I have not yet participated in new time controls. I’m wondering if my circa 2000 Chronos will have the necessary settings, and if not, will I need to look for a new Chronos, a DGT, or what? What are the pros and cons?

Digital chess clocks haven’t changed much since they become widely available in the 90’s.

There are some slight differences in certain models (older -vs- newer production models), mostly improving on some hardware issues. But little in terms of time control options.

I think some digital clocks might only support increment, but not sure offhand.

Personally, you can hardly go wrong with the Gametime Excalibur II or the Chronos. I have both. If I go to a chess club specifically to play, I"ll use my chronos and better chesss set. If I’m just passing through and want to stop by and play a couple games, I"ll just use my smaller chess set w/Excaliber.

So, as long as your Chronos is still working, it should cover nearly any time control situation you’d come across. I think the newer models of Chronos might support a couple more time control options, but not sure they’re even controls used in ches.

Someone recently did come up with some time control that wasn’t supported on Chronos, and not sure its supported on any other digital clock. It did have something to do with multiple time controls though.

I prefer the DGT line of clocks whether be the DGT NA (which is my best seller) or the DGT 2010. They are pretty much identical except for color and some of the programmed features from the 2010 aren’t in the NA. Also the 2010 carries the ‘official stamp’ for FIDE (which is why it also costs more).

What are the standard FIDE time controls being seen? I’m wondering if I have the increment ability on my Chronos or not, haven’t yet checked.

My Chronos dates from the late '90s and I have yet to find a time control it could not handle.

By “new time controls” I assume you mean increment and the FIDE norm-approved controls. The older Chronos can handle these easily—use CH-P5, CH-P6 or CH-P7 for one through three controls, respectively. One caveat: These modes do not display move counters; if you cannot play without one, the newest Chronos models have modes equivalent to the ones listed above, but with clock-press counters added.

We just went over this in another thread this week.

The Excalibur Game Time can handle any time control, too, as far as I know. If the Game Time were a bit sturdier and the plungers made a hair less noise I would hail it as the best bang for the (low-cost) buck.

For those who sense the huge hand of FIDE disturbing the Force in their chess 'hood—more likely out your way than other parts, I reckon—a DGT clock will someday seem necessary, perhaps. I have never used the DGT N/A, but that could change as soon as tomorrow. You can buy it online for less than $45, shipped, if you shop around.

So: You do not need another clock besides your older Chronos, but if you love move counters, FIDE or both…or just want to try something new, or find a clock that squeezes into your chess bag…there are good options.

Have fun.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at the other thread and the Chronos. Not really looking for extra expenses in today’s world until they are “necessary”.

Almost definitely yes to increment modes on your Chronos. Check out CH-P5, P-6 and P-7.

The most common FIDE-approved increment controls are G/90, Inc-30 and 40/90, SD/30, Inc-30. The latter is approved for norm-granting events; CCA switched to it last year for big events in which norms are possible in the top section.

For G/90, Inc-30 use CH-P5.

For 40/90, SD/30, Inc-30 use CH-P6—unless you cannot live without a clock-press counter.

P.S. For Sevan: Is G/90, Inc-30 still approved for norm events?

Does not the 2010 do Bronstein only—not straight delay—while the opposite is true of the N/A?

When I was in Canada several years ago, the tournament director had two boxes of the older gray Saitek clocks which were pre-set with 30 second increment. All sets, boards, and clocks were provided for use.

Yes. We’ll be using it at the upcoming 28th NA Masters (nachess.org/namasters)

From your previous posts I glean that you have two Chronos models – the last model with the switch on the bottom (ca. 1994-1996) and, probably, one of the first switchless models.

Even the older model (with the switch) has increment, but only for one time control. On that model it’s called CH-P3. If you use it for a two-control increment tournament (those are rather rare, though) you’ll have to do a mid-game time adjustment when the first control is reached.

On the switchless model try the CH-Pn modes, especially where n>4. A look through the manual should help. P stands for “progressive”, the Chronos name for increment, so look for the word “progressive” in the manual.

Unless I miss my guess, both of them use Bronstein. (I’ve used the DGT North American many times at Sevan’s club, but never for delay / Bronstein, as Sevan prefers increment.)

The North American is a nice clock, but I remain a Chronos fan. One problem with all DGT clocks is that they have only a three-and-a-half digit display. This means that it can display four digits, but only if the leftmost digit is 1. Thus, DGT clocks will not display running seconds until the main time ticks down to 19:59. Until that point it displays h:mm only.

Bill Smythe

I’m afraid you missed your guess. The DGT North American uses delay rather than Bronstein. The display even shows the word “delay,” which flashes while the delay time is running.

So the word “delay” flashes during the (for example) 5-second period, then goes steady as the main time begins to count down? And the word “delay” is steady on the side of the player not on the move?

Or is there only one word “delay” for both players, which flashes if either player is in the 5-second period, and is otherwise steady?

As three-and-a-half-digit displays go, this DGT approach sounds far superior to the Saitek.

Bill Smythe

Yes, that’s correct. Each side has a “delay” indicator in its display, and it works as you describe.

They both work quite well and in case of the Saitek, for a lot less money. In fact, that is the basis of the Saitek ads to be found in New In Chess. However, in those ads I think the comparison is being made with DGT European products which are still less expensive than Chronos.

The Saitek Competition Pro supports every timing mode I can think of, including delay, FIDE (increments) Bronstein and Fischer,plus hourglass and “word” (used in Scrabble tournaments).

The blue Saitek Competition seems quite popular, and I own one myself, but I prefer my “pro” model.

ETA: My Saiteks don’t display seconds until under 20 minutes, and I do find that very annoying. Not unacceptably annoying, but definitely annoying.

I was advised by a chess playing friend last Friday evening that I should own a Chronos before I die. Would anyone be willing to buy me one? I thought not…so, if I were to buy one it would be a GX, but should it be touch or button? I do play a lot of blitz these days…

Moderator Mode: Off

Brian, I believe I understand the use you will require of a clock. I have owned a number of Chronos Clocks, and I currently own 3 button models and one touch type. I also have played with the GX clocks. So, here are my thoughts for you:

1. If you want to play a lot of blitz, get the button model. When playing blitz the button type gives you the “feel” that you have hit the switch where the touch model doesn’t give the tactile acknowledgment of the clock “push”. This is important for blitz. You also can hit the button with a piece and it still works. The touch model requires you to touch the sensor with bare skin to make the contact. I use my touch model for slower games because it is nice and silent where you have the time to watch the LED’s switch and the clocks change. I use the button model for G/75, d/5 and faster. Where you don’t have to look at the clock to know you have activated your opponent’s clock.

2. I personally don’t like that beige color (some places call this white) at all. With the buttons it is nice to have a color contrast with the body of the clock. I like my black clock and I have put red buttons on it. Different colored buttons are available from SamTime, and they’re pretty cheap. I do have one clock with the paint sanded off and I use the black buttons on that as well as the one that is wood veneered. I used to own the blue color, which I sold to buy a black one, and the black buttons work fine with that blue.

3. I would encourage you to buy the full sized Chronos as opposed to the smaller GX. When playing the larger clock “reaches” further towards each player making hitting the clock a lot nicer and easier. This might not sound like much, but it is noticeable when playing, especially blitz. I can tell you that a few of us really noticed the difference.

4. There is another thread about the Chronos where we discussed a number of different places to buy the Chronos. Notwithstanding, I would refer you to The Chess House (chesshouse.com) where the owner is Raphael. Their prices are competitive and the service is exceptional. I also recall Raphael saying he could get different colored buttons if I wanted to get them, as well. Your Move Chess and Games has the best price when you use the code mentioned in that other thread, but I would still go with Raphael as I know he has the clocks in stock and if there is any problem, he will work with you to a great end. He actually took a clock back with a refund when it was a manufacturer problem one time with me.

Good luck.

So what is it about Chronos clocks that make them the best? I like the touch models because there’s no noise when you punch them, but other than that, what is it that sets them apart from the others?

I think the biggest selling point of the Chronos clocks is that you can use them to chock your wheels if you have to change a flat tire driving home from the tournament.