DGT 2010 or Chronos GX?

I’m considering buying one or the other. I’d appreciate comments. Also, any dependability problems with either? Thanks

If you’re considering the DGT 2010, then you may wish to look at the DGT North American. With some of the DGT 2010’s and NA’s, there were issues with the plunger where the magnet was not secured properly, but in a recent shipment I received of 400 DGT NA’s, not one had the plunger issue. The NA’s have less of the non-chess time options on them and the price difference can be between $20-40 less expensive for the NA than the 2010 depending on where you get it from.

We had people using them (the NA’s) for the past 9 days with no complaints on them. And they are very quiet even when you start blitzing. People did like them so much, I sold 150 of them over the course of the past week with some people purchasing them in bulk for the school teams and clubs.

Thanks. I was aware of those issues and the cost difference. The NA’s color scheme is butt ugly, IMO. I’m more interested in a comparison of the 2010 to the Chronos GX. Again, thanks.

I have 4 Chronos Clocks (3 standard and one touch)(I use the touch for my really slow games and the 3 standard ones for everything from G/20 on up), a Saitek Competition Pro III (this one is with my Barnes & Noble set because of the cool LEDs in the buttons), a DGT XL(this goes with my DGT board and set) and I just bought a DGT NA. I have also seen and played with the Chronos GX and the DGT 2010. I believe my experience and knowledge of these clocks will suffice to give a good opinion.

The DGT 2010 and the DGT NA are basically the same clock with different colors and some different timing features. I use my DGT NA for my blitz setup. I especially like the rocker arm/buttons for this. The action on them is quiet and easy. I won’t use this clock (or the XL or Saitek) for longer time controls because you cannot see the seconds of the time left until the time goes below 20 minutes, and that’s a drawback for me. The DGT 2010 is more European and has only the Bronstein timing which adds the delay after the move is made. The NA has the true time delay function as used here in the U.S. This is why I bought the NA and not the 2010. Of course all these clocks mentioned also have increment.

The Chronos GX is a smaller version of the standard Chronos and has less timing options preset. For the money difference, I would personally buy a full sized Chronos instead. The displays are larger as is the standard clock making it a bit easier to use at the board. If you plan on using this for Blitz or quicker time controls, I would suggest you consider getting the regular buttons instead of the touch model (either the GX or Standard). As I said, I have one of the touch models and I love it for slower time controls where it is totally silent. In the faster time controls the touch doesn’t give a good feedback that you hit the button and made the timing change. I know that I can set the sound beep to signify a move, but it isn’t the same. Otherwise the Chronos has all the timing options including the Bronstein and USCF type delay.

I guess you need to decide what you are going to use the clock for. If you want something primarily for, or at least a lot of, faster time controls the DGT 2010 or NA would work. I prefer the button action on these clocks for faster games. If you are going to use it for a lot of games over G/20, I would recommend a Chronos. The time display is better.

IF you plan on using the clock for everything, I suggest a Chronos. It is very durable and will have all the features of timing you would want as a chess player. And again, I would suggest the standard, full sized Chronos over the smaller GX model. Whether you get the standard buttons or the touch ones, is a matter of preference as well. I can only say the touch model is a bit strange and takes some getting used to in the faster time controls.

Many thanks! I will probably opt for one of the Chronos models–I just can’t stand the color option on the DGT NA. If I wanted a flag, I’d buy a flag. :unamused:

A question, Ron. Does the GX have all of the timing info visible that the larger Chronos has?

After trying a Chronos GX, setting it that is, I decided I have better things to do. No offense to Chronos owners. I admire your ability to deal with complex equipment. I’ve opted for the DGT NA, even though I loathe the colors. Having used DGT clocks in the past, 960 and Easy Plus, it seems like the best way to go. Perhaps I’ll ask my daughter to bling it for me. :smiley:

The learning curve on the Chronos has always been it’s hardest point. It doesn’t take long to get the hang of it, not much longer to learn how to copy favorite modes to the built in memories (and edit them if necessary), etc. I find them easier to set than, say, the Saitek Competiton series. But there’s no denying there is a curve of sorts.

I’ll probably buy a DGT NA if my Chronos I ever bites the dust, though I will seriously consider another Chronos. Price may determine it in the future for me.

The nice thing is there are dang few digital clocks out there today that are really terrible. (I can’t think of one, offhand, that I would never ever consider owning. Though I do insist on both delay and add-back in my clocks.) Just different features and learning curves.

I’m curious, though: Is there any other clock than the full-size Chronos series that offers “hourglass” timing? That is still my preferred mode for casual play, believe it or not.

I believe the older versions of the Saitek clock had an hourglass setting. Those clocks were easy to set. I gave up on setting Chronos clocks when I saw one instruction in a booklet read, “Press the red button 33 times.” I find the Chronos clocks to be too expensive and not as sturdy as claimed, especially with kid usage. Many of my students have opted for the Gametimer, which they call the “mushroom clock” because of the shape of the button plungers. They say it is easiest to set and shows the delay and time better than the others.

Although I remain a Chronos fan, I should soon get to try a DGT NA because Seven has a tournament coming up where he says he will furnish clocks to ALL boards. (Good luck with that, Sevan!)

One thing I like about the Excalibur is that it is apparently the ONLY clock with three separate displays (per player) for main time, delay time, and move count. No fussing around (by the clock’s programmers) deciding how to split the single display between which two of the three.

Bill Smythe

I was in NYC yesterday to have lunch with Joe Lux and I played a game in Washington Square Park. I lost on time while my opponent had 4 seconds left while I was a piece up. He was using a Chronos touch and I must have hit the touch pad with a piece to no effect at least four or five times. Nice clock. Nice tactic on the denezin’s part. We had a good laugh over it and he admitted that was why he opted for the touch model.

Indeed, the Excalibur’s display is a model of clarity in that regard. It is trivial to see at any time whether the delay feature is turned on (instead of having to wait for one of the players to press the clock and then look for flashing colons or blinking dots or whatever other obscure indicator). Also, one of the Excalibur features I appreciate most as a tournament director is the ability to verify the clock’s setting before starting the clock. Unfortunately, it is not possible to set the clock for multiple time controls without using the move counter.

Sigh, I do get misty-eyed over Excalibur’s demise. I thought that clock was probably the best value for the money.

Ah, if only someone would combine the display of the Excalibur, the style and ease of use of the Saitek C-Pro, and the durability of the Chronos . . . then, my friends, we’d have a clock.

Just received the DGT NA from USCF Sales today and it is quite nice (not counting the color scheme). It’s a bit easier to set than the Saitek Comp Pro and the lever is very quiet. The low profile is nice as well. I’ll use it tomorrow at the high school club I work with and report back.

BTW, the USCFSales staff was great. They were initially out of stock and called me to so advise. I canceled the order. When a shipment of the clocks arrived the next day they called me and I arranged to have it shipped three days later so that I’d be back after Easter when it arrived–today.

It was probably too good a value, so much so that the company couldn’t stay in business.

Bill Smythe

Perhaps they should have housed it in a metal box and charged a srp of $139.99. They would have made a killing.

Just played several blitz games with it and like the clock very much. Easy to set for an alternative game time of G-10. I don’t like having to turn the clock off and then on to start a new game. I prefer the push and hold of the Saitek Pro. Overall, probably my new favorite clock.