Exploitation or not

I don’t often post on this site, however the article titled “Big bucks and glamour close the US womens Open” certainly caught my eye and there is an article on Chessbase website that has essentially the same content. I have met and watched all the young women in the tournament at one time or another. They are all top-notch personalities, terrific chess players, and have a sense of humor.

I suppose they agreed to pose for all those photos and I’m sure it was all in fun and within the spirit of the occasion, but I can’t help feel that they were exploited. It all looked a little “pushing the envelope” to me I am certainly no angel. Can anyone get my drift here or am I just overreacting?

Hi, AlexKnight, and a relatively-seldom-posting welcome! This probably belongs in the comments for the article itself ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11722 ,) but if so a Mod will probably merge it over there.

I think I see what you’re getting at - for example, would you see men at a tournament posing this way? But MVHO is that it doesn’t rise to exploitation. (I’d readily be corrected by that, though, if it turns out there are many people who felt that way, especially offended women. Sometimes exploitation is in the eye of the beholder.)

Not. If it bothers you, don’t look. Now, if posing for lewd pictures were made a condition of invitation, you might have an argument, but I don’t think that was the case.

Four of the players were not photographed. I’d say it was voluntary. What can we do to make the overall (open to men too) US Championship as much fun?

No, I don’t think they were being exploited. I think they were enjoying themselves, and revelling in a glamorous moment in the national spotlight.

Being beautiful and enjoying it is not reserved for bimbos only. Smart women get to do it, too.

(Actually, I’d like to hear from one of the women photographed.)