Matching TDs and Organizers

I’ve noticed a few frantic TOs posting on here looking for a last minute TD for an upcoming tournament. Is there some other way to find willing TDs for upcoming events? If not, should we come up with some way to help TOs find TDs at the needed certification level?

I think that a feature in the TD/Affiliate area where affiliates could do a search for TD’s the same way the online TLA thing works. Of course USCF would have to poll the TD’s to make sure the TD would want their info and which contact info they would want available. Have the search for TD with City, State, Zip and the TD can decide whether to provide and email address or snail mail for the TO to contact them. This might help for National events as well. I’ve noticed that a lot of times I have to actually contact the USCF to get put on staff for a national instead of them contacting me. The Chief TD is always like “I’m so glad we have someone extra”. Couldnt’ there be a list or someone where people can “opt in” to want to direct nationals or be contacted by TO’s? Just a thought. Make it so the TD would sign on to their TD account and create a ‘profile’ click on willing to do Nationals willing to do locals. They could make a short note with desired fees and such for TO to see. Any thoughts?

JediJoshua,
Exactly. I was thinking of something like that – maybe modeled on job search sites (the kind that have job openings posted by employeers and resumes posted by job applicants). You really wouldn’t need much info:
Tournaments:
Site (city or zip at a minimum)
Date
Certification Level

TDs:
Address (city or zip at a minimum)
Certification Level
How far they’d travel

Maybe add fees as well, or just let that be negotiated. This way TOs can find TDs and/or TDs can find TOs.

I’d like to volunteer to direct more tournaments than I can organize myself, but I have no way of knowing when and where organizers might need help.

That’s a good idea, and one that should be on the project list somewhere, probably as a part of the things TDs and affiliates can do through the TD/Affiliate Support Area.

(Other than TDs and affiliates, who would have a need for that information?)

This would also have to be an opt-in listing because of privacy issues.

Some things that might be added by the TD would be: types of tournaments done and/or desired (to allow an organizer to do a quick check without having to go to MSA for each TD); back room (cards and/or specific pairing programs), floor or chief TD experience; special notes (like a Sr. TD being willing to work for free to get a category R tournament in).

A TO might add tournament type (scholastic, FIDE, RR), prize fund, and TD position(s) to be filled.

Balancing between enough information and too much will be interesting.

This is starting to sound like a dating service!

Let us match you up on the 29 ways you are compatible with the tournament organizer. :slight_smile:

Now there’s a good idea…

Likes: Long walks on the beach, Itiallian food, Caro-Kann Bronstein-Larsen variation
Dislikes: Politics, cold weather, doubled isolated pawns on the e file.