player stats

Hi Mike,

I hate to be a nudge, but do you plan to change over from post- to pre-event ratings for the player stats?

Angelo

Probably, but not sure when. I need to test to make sure the pre-event ratings fields got fully populated.

It probably won’t be a ‘switch over’ it will probably be a ‘choose one’.

Thanks, Mike. Your solution sounds reasonable.

Done.

Into what pre-event rating category are unrated players counted?

Thanks for showing the statistics both ways! I lost a game to a player rated 900+, using the pre-event rating, but the player was rated 1100+ in the post-event statistics. This makes me feel much better!

Jim

Good question. It wasn’t including them at all, but now ‘UNR’ show up as a separate row, but only for players who have no pre-event rating. Someone with an unpublishable pre-event rating based on 1-3 games will be shown in the class that their pre-event rating places them.

That also means that unrated players with a FIDE rating will be placed based on their FIDE rating (converted to a USCF rating) and that players who have a regular rating but not a quick rating will probably be placed based upon their pre-event regular rating when showing quick-rated data, and vice-versa, since that’s what the ratings formula will use to start their rating.

In the post-event stats it uses their post-event rating, even if that is based on fewer than 4 games and thus not a publishable rating.

Was wondering why mine had changed. Changed it back to post event rating, looks much more impressive than pre-event lol.

Hey Nolan, great work so far with the ratings. I’m a big fan of stats, so having even more available really makes it enjoyable for me.

I do have a request, though I must admit I’m not sure how difficult it would be to implement. I believe the original life master title is 300 games over 2200, and then you earn a 2200 floor. Could you include a count of the number of games over 2200 for players who haven’t earned the original life master title yet? I think I’m somewhere in the 60-70 range and it would make things a lot easier instead of counting up games from individual tournaments. I think it would also encourage players like myself to stay active as they see that number approach 300. Based on my current pace, I think it’ll still be at least 3-4 more years and that’s assuming I keep playing well.

If you don’t have time, it’s not a problem, just a small thing that I thought would be cool to add.

We could probably compute an UNOFFICIAL OLM game count from the same games table that is used to show the head-to-head and other statistics, but the OLM title (including the 2200 floor) is not awarded until after a review of the player’s tournament record by the office.

For example, games played in matches do not count towards an OLM, because otherwise someone who hits 2200 could play a series of essentially meaningless matches against much lower players to earn an OLM. Similarly, the NM title and OLM credits are not awarded until after an event has been rerated at least once.

I’ve added some drill-down features to the player statistics page.

If you click on the rating class or year, it will show all games against players in that rating class or during that calendar year.

In that detail or in the Top 30 opponents format, if you click on the ID of an opponent, it will give the head-to-head history against that opponent.

Also, I think I’ve matched up most of the dual-rated events that were rated under two different event IDs (one for the quick ratings, one for the regular ratings) between 2000 and 2004, so it shouldn’t be double-counting those games when showing statistics under both ratings systems.

I love it! Thanks, Mike.