Renewing after tournament membership

I have a player who paid a $7 tournament membership last week and now wants to renew. According to:
secure2.uschess.org/newtournamentmembership.php

“$5 of the $7 JR TM fee can be applied towards a USCF membership and $10 of a $12 TM fee can be applied towards a USCF membership if purchased within 60 days. The USCf membership webstore will automatically recognize and credit a tournament membership towards a one year or longer USCF membership.”

However when I submit the membership in the TD/Affiliate Support Area it charges the full $17, not $12. Does the $5 discount only apply in the webstore, making a net of $15 for the membership?

Yes. If you want to use the player’s discount, you’ll have to go through the web store. Be careful, though, I had an instance in January where a player brought his or her (I don’t remember now) coupon to me and asked to renew. The discount showed when I went through the webstore, but for some reason it had disappeared by the time I finished the transaction. Note also that you’ll need complete address and DOB information to do this, and you don’t get the affiliate commission. You do, however, get the ability to name someone for the MAP.

Alex Relyea