Rules Discussions

First, Tim, thanks for the original topic starter. I have had that very same thought many times since renewing my lapsed membership and becoming a Club TD: the rules questions and discussions are very productive - not just for the situation at hand but the learning that comes from the discussion. I hope others get as much out of them as I have so far.

On the paper/electronic version… I own a dedicated book reader and a Tablet PC that I use in portrait mode and used for reading prior to buying my Sony. Yet I still like the paper version of the rulebook. Both-and would be wonderful, but as technophilic as I am I still like paper for many things.

My one suggestion for future version of a paper rulebook would be to have it in a binder with removable pages. Thus when revisions occur it would be possible to simply remove the changed pages and insert new ones. Many legal and medical references, where information may change with time, use this format. (For an example of the format, materials put out by Aspen Publishers.)

It may be hard to convince a publisher to print such a format, as it would make copying it easier. But on the other hand, any book can already be copied. And, in addition, a small but tangible amount could be charged for revision sets in between major versions. - Especially for those of us who would pay for the convenience.

(Just my own fantasy…)

Another slick way to gain a lot of TD experience and knowledge is by getting on staff (yes, even at your own expense) at a large tournament. It is like attending a hands-on workshop. Besides the multiple first hand experience opportunities you will get to hear fellow more experienced TDs share their directing experiences.

The binder idea has come up in the distant past (before the Internet explosion) and I don’t recall why it was not implemented. Perhaps it is worth another try for the next version. I think it would also be worth a try to get the publisher to include/sell separately a disk (encrypted?) with the book. Once the book is in some sort of e-format it opens up a lot of possibilities for formatting and reference (case studies!?) techniques that would make the rulebook more user friendly (just my own fantasy).

Even an electronic index would be helpful.

Tim, I like the binder idea, and you could use the chapter deviders for quick and often asked questions, TD tips. and handy reference items.
Maybe we could work with the publisher about getting out new addition so that they do not lose revenue, and we keep up our partnership.

The USCF could do worse than emulate a true sporting association.
http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/rules.html

You would probably be hard-pressed to find a pro golfer in a tournament who did not have a copy of the rules in his possession. Of course the caddy has to lug it. My brother is a golfer so I used to watch quite a bit of it on television. From time to time one of the commentators would remark that the player had consulted the rulebook about whether he could move the ball. Of course a player reading a book doesn’t make good TV, so they never actually showed it.

The 2008ROG.pdf is only 192 pages. By comparison the USCF rulebook is a joke. I have long felt the USCF should publish a version which is just the rules of play. Make it small, cheap, tight, and more players would actually buy one. The comment that leaving out the interpretations would cause arguments is ironic, given how many arguments are started over the interpretations themselves.

Oh, and a looseleaf rulebook would be a disaster. Just the idea of a missing page would create arguments.

I hadn’t really thought about that. Good point. And also maybe any such binder would have to have page reinforcement to prevent pages accidentally ripping loose… already upping the price. :frowning:
OTOH, at the moment are there ever arguments about TDs not using the revised rules as posted here vs. the “paper copy?” And the facts of any ‘lost pages’ argument would be fairly easy to settle on appeal or by the player producing their copy.

Obviously, I would still like my idea to work. But I recognize that it would be workable for me, and not necessarily for everyone. :slight_smile: But maybe it could.

(In fact, I’ve toyed with the idea of copying my rulebook to a binder and substituting in the revised rulebook pages. Then have my printed copy still with me, as a possible fair use copyright defense and for any player to use for look up. But the notion of being accused of copyright violation keeps me from doing so.

I’ve also thought about buying a second copy of the rulebook and manually cutting/punching the pages as above. That way it is an original copy. And I’d use the same argument for anyone wanting to dispute my cut-up version as complete: Here’s the bound copy and the revisions. You look up and tell me what’s missing.)

The only formatting suggestion I would make is to locate the TD TIPS and the “See Also’s” as numbered footnotes, leaving the “rule text” on its own. (But I do appreciate having the tips and cross-references, myself.)

There is too much dependence on the Rulebook in making live decisions. Make your ruling as you understand the rules. Only look up a rule if you are uncertain. Stand by your ruling. When a player asks you where it says that in the rules, hand him the Rulebook and tell him politely to find it himself.

You don’t have to be bullied by a player who doesn’t like your ruling. If he threatens to appeal to the Federation, explain accurately how that is done. Welcome the opportunity to defend your interpretation to the appropriate committee.

I have been involved in only one appeal. I served on an appeals committee with IM Goodman and the late Harry Lyman of MA. (Shelby’s father). GM Lein appealled our decision all the way to FIDE. FIDE supported our decision. Lein did not talk to me for over twenty years.

All the best, Joe Lux

I’m glad you brought that up – there’s another disaster. I have made just such an argument with a local TD. Not 100% sure I was correct on the facts in that one, but I was correct in principle – he is the TD, and he needs to know the rules. Plus it keeps coming up in his tournaments. Rule 1B says that play is governed by “these rules of chess and by all USCF procedures and policies”. A huge swamp.

I would go further and say that the published rulebook should govern until the next published edition. A PDF on the USCF website, unless it is an exact replica of the hard-copy, is not acceptable. The rules are not only binding on players and TDs, but on the USCF itself. It works both ways, or it doesn’t work at all. The updated rules PDF is a very bad idea, in my not so humble opinion.

He probably doesn’t hang out with Litvinchuk too much either.