Electronic Rulebook Format

Mr. Just, you may not remember but it was about two years ago when I last asked you this question, and you said something about not being sure of all the options yet.

The question: Can the rulebook be bought/sold in an electronic format (Word, .pdf, etc.)? It would be nice to have a text with hyperlinked cross-references, search-and-find, zoom and font preferences, and all the works. For qualified buyers, it would be easily upgradeable.

Perhaps the best way would be to include it in a separate help file packaged in any WinTD and SwissSys software, at a slightly higher fee. If pirating is a concern, I’m sure the technology exists to prevent cut/paste, etc. In any case, when I bring my pairing program, it would be nice to carry the peace of mind of having my rulebook on site.

I’m sure there would be tons of support for this, as well as being an incredible service to TDs everywhere. Please keep this in mind.

Ben Bentrup

Wow, that’s a great idea. I would love to be able to print out certain portions of the rule book to post at my chess club. For example the 10 Players’ Rights and the 10 Players’ Responsibilities would be good to post!

BTW, I really like the latest edition. Its much easier to read and find what you need than previous editions. I remember the 1993 edition…

Regards,
AJG

McKay has the publishing rights and does not seem interested in anything except a hard copy of the book.

I suspect that has to do with the contract they have with USCF that was signed many, many, many years ago. Perhaps if some legal expert approached the USCF office/Board and volunteered to deal with McKay regarding this issue…

Tim Just

5th edition Rules of Chess, editor

Thanx to Tim Just and Bill Symthe, the latest edition is a lot easier to read and use as a resource!

Thanx,
AJG

Where are those chess lawyers when u need them??? :question: :question: This is ingenuis :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: Chess laywers get on this :exclamation: :exclamation:

Get in on what?

Regards,
AJG

Get on this :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: To put the stuff in electrical format :exclamation:

And now i am a chess lawyer