TD Decision about draw due to both flags being down

I was playing in the last round.

The time control was 40/90, G/60.

Each player had only about a minute to play about 20 moves in the FIRST time control. Both players start bltizing with neither player taking notation.

I look at the clock and see both flags down. I claim a draw. but the TD rueld that play must go on as I have no proof that both flags fell before we made the 40 moves.

1. Is the above dicision correct?

2. When I claimed the draw, before player B could say anything, another player who happens to be a TD (But not the TD for that tournement) came up and annonced that I had no claim for a draw. Does this fact change anything?

Thank you

Ivan Wijetunge

There is no such a thing as a claimed draw in a non-sidden-death time control. That is only relevant in sudden death time controls. Details for that are in 14G, page 48-49.

Yes, the game goes on. Under 16T, page 69:
“In a non-sudden death control the game continues.”

It isn’t really relevant in your case whether you made 40 moves or not. Since your second time control was sudden death, you could just continue immediately. If you had another non-sudden death control, then the td would try to recreate the game score so that you know where you are starting that time control.

No. I assume that the other td was trying to be helpful, but I would normally prefer to explain the rules to the players myself. It also makes it easier to get the exact facts on the situation before ruling.

Right ruling, wrong reason (if that really was the TD’s reason – I’d like to hear from the TD).

With both flags down, neither player has a legitimate time-forfeit claim, no matter which flag fell first. Therefore:

A. In non-sudden death, the game simply continues into the next (presumably sudden death) time control.

B. In sudden death, the game is drawn (as soon as either player calls a flag).

In case A, it does not matter whether 40 moves were played or not, nor even whether it can be determined how many moves were played.

The other TD probably should have stayed out of it. If anything, a kibitzing TD is even worse than a kibitzing player, because a TD should know better.

If the kibitzing TD wanted to be helpful, a better course might have been to simply suggest to the players that they fetch the tournament TD.

Bill Smythe