Tournament Guide

The club’s policy is that you may use what you find there that is useful, but we would appreciate attribution and/or kind words of acknowledgement.

Please feel free to poke around the site and see what else might be useful. We try to keep things organized, but I’m afraid we may be more aspirational than successful in that. :wink: Probably the best place to start is the FAQs link under “Collections” in the left column of the home page.

I do like the idea of letting the players using the rulebook to make their own rulings.

I believe this is the clock that was purchased for each of the bases: Saitek Competition Digital Chess Clock. I didn’t take a real close look at was in the box. But the clock was blue and digital. Though I’m not sure if they will leave any with the rec centers. They will mainly be held for the USCF tournaments that I will get to run.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. They are helping to formulate plans on how best to achieve the objectives outlined by HQ.

Thanks. I will definitely give credit where do.

But I might forget about the project anyway. Too much going on. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Ken! Can I use that +20 the next time I play Dennis Bourgerie? I could use a 20-point advantage against him. :wink: (shouldn’t say that about Dennis - don’t think he’s on the forums. :astonished: Though I’m sure somebodies will pass that along to him.)

Yep, that’s the Saitek Competition. A very good clock for tournament play when you don’t know who’s going to be using it, IMVHO. Inexpensive, too. Wonder if y’all lucked out, or if someone really knew that it’s probably the best clock for your situation (again my most humble opinion.) But I recommended it in a recent blog post about clocks.

The hardest part of using them, I found, was in realizing pushing and holding the pause/reset button was what is needed to reset them. The rocker pad select of timing mode is very easy and handy once you’ve learned how to use it. One of the easiest digitals I’ve used/set.

Looks like the Saturday, January 23, 2010 Camp Lejeune Chess Tournament info is posted on the North Carolina Chess Association’s website:
ncchess.org/tournaments.html

Hopefully, some active/retired/dependents of the Air Force and Army bases within driving distance (Pope AFB; Fort Bragg, etc.) will also participate!

Doh – I should’ve read the online news before I posted last night.

About 2,200 Camp Lejeune Marines and sailors are due to ship to Haiti in the next few days (as well as more than 100 U.S. Army soldiers from Fort Bragg).

Everyone will certainly understand if the January 23rd chess tournament may be cancelled…

I’d suggest get feedback or pass along items needed to mainstream the b.s. lingo out the frivolous guides available to reference by use of the USCF Military Chess Cmte. contact its chair at rook@usmilitarychess.org In any case they’d probably want a few copies of the final result dissemination among the rank and file soldiers and officers who play. All my best to you in that project. :slight_smile:

lol