and now for something completely different . . .

Yeah it is late at night and I should be asleep but I just had this idea and had to think it through. I’m blaming Mark Nibbelin because he got me to thinking about the value of ratings etc … It seemed that for the most part they were needed for class prizes so that the majority of chess players would feel as if they would have something to play for. Which got me to thinking of how you could run a tournament without ratings. So anyway I came up with the following.

Tournament that does not use ratings to base pairings and prizes. Pairings

are random within score groups. In a 4 round tournament there is an overall

1st place prize - a prize for the top finisher of all those with a score of

<.5 after round 1. a prize for the top finisher of all those with a score

of <.5 after round 2. a prize for the top finisher of all those with a

score of <.5 after round 3.

Example 32 players after round 1 only players that have scores of <.5 are

eligble for the Alpha prize. After round 2 Only players that have scores of

<.5 are eligble for the Beta prize and after round 3 only players that have

scores of <.5 are eligble for the Gamma prize.

This has the results of distributing prizes like classes prizes to the

weaker players without relying on ratings to determine classes. Results are

what determine the prizes.

I did an experimental run of 32 players for 4 rounds and manually randomized

the players within their score groups. I didn’t score any draws just for

simplicity sake and I let the higher rated player always win. The results

had a tie for 1st with the two highest rated players. One of them played

opponents 9,8,5,7 and other played opponents 25,3,4,6

The Alpha prize would have gone to players number 9 and 10
The Beta prize would have gone to player number 22
The Gamma prize would have gone to players 29 and 30

Now someone tell me “Oh yeah we’ve done that” :slight_smile:

No, I haven’t done that, but wouldn’t your idea give new meaning to the concept of the Swiss Gambit? A player who believes he has no chance at the overall prize could just drop the first game or two deliberately, putting himself in line for the Beta or Gamma prize.

Bill Smythe

Yeah I think that would be true. So possibly the prizes would need to be adjusted proportionally to offset the desire to do that.

I’ve read that in ancient China they once had a tax collection system that allowed the owner of the land to set his own taxes based on the value of his land. The trick was that the government had the right to purchase the land at the value the landowner declared. Set the value too low you could lose your property. Set the value too high and you pay too much in taxes.

This is the concept that I was trying to achieve with running a tournament without ratings.

Ooh, you’re diabolical. :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m partial to the plus-score format, anyway. Plus-score tournaments attract (1) strong players, and (2) not-so-strong players who want to knock heads with strong players and improve their game. They do not attract (3) not-so-strong players who are hoping to win money, and that’s fine with me.

Bill Smythe