Equipment Standards -board and piece color combo's

Does anyone know the tournament/match standards on board and piece color combo’s? I have an orange/cream board with blood red/natural wood pieces and was wondering if this meets the requirements in rated tournament/match play, if any. Thanks

40D: “Pieces should be the color of naturally light and dark wood (for example, maple or boxwood and walnut or ebony) or approximations of those colors, such as simply white and black.”

41B: "Like the pieces, chessboard colors should offer high contrast between the light and dark sections yet remain pleasing to the eye. Good combinations include green or brown with ivory or buff, and walnut or teak with maple or birch. The colors and finish should allow extended examination without eyestrain.

“Squares that do not exactly match the colors of the pieces are popular because they allow ready distinction between empty and occupied squares. For example, the green and buff vinyl rollup board sold by USCF and others is the most commonly used at tournaments. Red and black chekerboards are nonstandard.”

As you can see, there is some TD discretion involved here. If the opponent objected to the set/board combo you describe and could offer a “more standard” one, I would probably rule in his favor. I urge you not to make this a contest about forcing him to use your equipment, That’s not what the game is about.

Chapter 4, section 40 gives the standards for chess pieces.
I take it that the pieces are of standard size and design (Staunton)

40D. Pieces should be the colors of naturally light and dark wood or approximations of those colors such as simply white and black.

41B. Like the pieces the chessboard colors should offer high contrast between the light and dark sections yet remain pleasant to the eye. Good combinations include green or brown with ivory or buff, and walnut or teak with maple or birch. The colors and finish should allow extensive examination without eye strain.

The colors you describe are borderline, at best. I probably would say a dark red and natural white wood for the pieces would be ok, but I doubt that orange for the board is acceptable. I cannot say for sure without seeing the set. (NOT, as I have occasionally seen, red and black)
Red set have been used throughout the history of chess, and as long as it isn’t too bright, I would probably accept them. It is a common color for visually impaired players. Historically ivory sets were colored red as the black dyes would not stick to ivory.
I really question an orange board (especially with the red set) as the pieces and board my clash and be troubling to look at.

If you bring your set to an event be prepared that your opponent may object, and the TD may rule against using the set even if you are black.

A bold departure from the monotony of all those look-alike green-and-buff sets which are so common nowadays.

When I was a kid, someone else had a white and red set to use on a red and black checkerboard, … er, chessboard. Try teaching “queen on her own color” with that setup.

A friend of mine bought an orange and white board that, at first glance, I thought was rather garrish. But after I actually played a game with him on it, I found I really liked it. This one was sort of a creamy orange, not a bright, bold shade.

We were using “normal” white and black pieces, not sure red would go with that so well.

Grant Neilley

I would not allow it if your opponent complained.

I might like it for skittles though.

Allan Fifield
Senior TD

this answer is most often taken care of by the players. Very seldom when one player objects to the
board or pieces, have I seen the other insist anyhow. It is often referred to as common courtesy.
Not a bad idea. However, I have seen and heard of TDs (incorrectly) approving Red and Green
pieces, which do not seem to me to comply with the idea of "ebony, light and dark, etc. "

Robert Jones
 Denton, Texas