Red Chess Sets

40D. Color. Pieces should be the color of naturally light and dark wood (for example, maple or boxwood and walnut or ebony) or approximations of these colors, such as simple white and black.

There has been some mixed feelings with the federation starting to sell red chess sets, like the collector series. Do like the chess sets, the natural and ivory are part of my privite sets – even like the red as they do so well show up on the chess board. Even have used the red set in a privite match, have knowed for white that the color can be the standard ivory or the yellow to be close to some form of wood. Even has seen blue, green and even orange as a color for white but the federation as can be recalled never sold them. Myself as a player would never mind the use of a person having red as black, as having mixed my colors with the collector as having white as red and black as black, did make the set stand out.

Thinking as a tournament director if a player objected to the color red, at first had not a clear answer to give to the player that would object to the color. True the player change the color of black to red then having black as black; even in the 19th century there was different colors to show what is for black and what is for white; as the club had different ideas or the owner of the set had different ideas what should be the color. When it became standard to have black and white, was not so much the clubs it was more the print media as they only had or still use black ink. As printed books in the 19th century or newspapers could only use black as the standard, then it became the standard to have the name of white and black.

In my judgement, if the federation are selling red chess sets, and they are between 3 3/8 and 4 1/2 inches – have little choice then to state the red sets are standard. As the collector series chess sets are starting to become the standard at tournaments, even myself use them as a player at a tournament; as the black and ivory, and the black and yellow, have not at this time have anyone bring a red set or know anyone that would object to a red set. My mind is fixed to accept red at a event, wanted feed back from players and other directors on how they would deal with a red set.

Earnest,
Douglas M. Forsythe, local td

The Federation also sells Simpsons chess sets, and those are not standard. Obviously that part of your argument is a fallacy. Some sales are for collector appreciation only. Of course, if a standard set can not be provided for a game, non-standard equipment will have to do.

But independently speaking - should red sets be standard? As a player (over 200 tournaments in the last four years) red would be somewhat distracting. I’m a big proponent of chess pieces as pure mathematical constructs, chess that can be played in one’s head. The pieces, be they of metal, wood, plastic, etc., or be they red, white, or polka-dot should not matter - they are just handicaps for our inferior brains to process.

However, given that, I hate things that just obtrude unnecessarily. While I’m thinking of my game, I don’t want for a second to be admiring or scorning the pieces. While I would give the Federation the benefit of the doubt if it made Red pieces standard, I would be against the idea, all things considered.

Ben Bentrup

40B Size. The king’s height should be 3 3/8 to 4 1/2 inches (8.65 to 11.54 cm). The cross (or other king’s finial) should occupy no more then 20 percent of the total height of the king. The diameter of the kings’s base should be 40 - 50 percent of the height. The other pieces should be proportional in height and form. All pieces should be well balanced for stability and comfortable moving

The Simson Chess Set is a novelty chess set, the federation did sell the Simson Chess Set but under the idea for the players as a novelity. Not even sure if the Simson chess set is even 3 3/8 for the king not even to talk about the base and proportional in form. During the last USCF catalog (Summer 2004 in the June 2004 Chess Life) that they sell a set that is between the 3 3/8 and 4 1/2 King was the Isle of Lewis Chess Men (#1164 non-member $169 USCF member $149) that the king is 3 5/8. As the base is 1 7/8 = 1.875 and height 3 5/8 = 3.375 would make the percent be 1.875 into 3.375 = 55.56% from the base to the height making it greater the the 50% from base to height.

At this time cannot see a chess set the federation is selling that breaks the rule of 40B if you factor the height and the percent of base to height. As my question was if the federation is selling a chess set that falls within 40B can as a director call the set a novelty. Novelty like a civil war, or different era, or different sports.

The question becomes down to the color of the set, as we can say that the white and black and the yellow and black are standard for the collector series why not say the yellow and red are non standard; as the federation does sell in red the collector series, marshall series, windsor series – how can a director object when a player brings in a chess set that the federation sells. Do have mixed feelings with a red chess set, have played with them and not used them in some other directors tournament but have used them in a match.

If the federation is selling red chess sets and they are non-standard and the other colors are standard, the federation should inform the customer that they are non standard. As the federation does not give any warning that the red chess sets are non standard because of color then should respect the player that has black to use the red chess set. My question was not that they were a novelty as they are not a novelty, if they were a novelty would have to reject all collector series chess sets; my question is based on color of the set, as it is custom to accept yellow for white then in time could it be custom to accept red as black.

Earnest,
Douglas M. Forsythe, local td