Event wrongly submitted as Dual rated

I played in event no. 200609046811
The time control was 35/90+SD/60, but by mistake it has apparently been submitted as a dual rated event. Email messages to the TD bounce, is there any other way to have this marked for correction (say via a message from the President of the state affiliate - this was the state championship) ?

/Jens

Our computer records for this rating report (which it appears was mailed to the USCF on a diskette) shows the time control as Game/60, but I suppose that could have been a misread of ‘35/90 SD/60’.

In general when there is a problem, we have to have the correction from the TD or the sponsoring affiliate.

In special cases, I suggest people contact Walter Brown, wbrown@uschess.org, he can pull the paperwork or try to contact the TD or submitting affiliate. (I’m sending Walter a copy of this thread.)

It does not appear that there was a TLA in the magazine for this event, nor was there a TLA in the Online TLA Service, either of which could be used to confirm your report.

The time control is also listed at the WVCA website:
wvca.lastpawn.com/tourneyResult.php?id=220

/Jens

Mike, is there a plan in place to include ALL tournaments as part of the quick rating?

If so, then this issue becomes moot once that is implemented and past tournaments are re-rated for the quick rating.

That would make the Quick rating awfully similar to the regular rating and so defeat the purpose of having this distinguishment in the first place.

/Jens

Yes, the Ratings Committee has recommended that we rate all events under the rating system (formerly) know as quick. (It probably needs a new name.)

I’m still doing some tests which will help decide exactly how and when this change is made. Right now I’m leaning towards doing this AFTER creating the 2006 Annual Rating List.

Perhaps Ken Sloan will post the RC’s reasoning behind this change.

Do I understand you right that ALL games will be rated under the (current) quick rating, and then the (current) regular rating will be only those games G/30 or slower? Or is part of the change to make the current regular rating be G/60 (or some different cutoff) or slower?

Will this be a prospective change only, or will everyone’s quick ratings be recomputed based on past (slower) results?

The new rating system, formerly known as Quick, is now known as “^”, kind of like Prince. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe they are saying that the old standard time control rating will now be operated under the forumlae of the old Quick rating system.

I bet that they will either make a cutoff date where the old system and formulae are no longer used. Otherwise, they will need to back compute the whole darn thing.

My understanding is that G/30 and slower will still be regular rated and EVERYTHING will be under The Rating System Formerly Known As Quick.

Ken Sloan’s comment at the RC workshop was that he thought eventually TRSFKAQ would be considered the ‘real’ USCF rating system.

I’m still trying to figure out what we can do to try to bring the two ratings system into some kind of parity, at least temporarily.

I ran a test rerate (on our backup system) of all reratable events (everything rated since 1/1/2004) as TRSFKAQ, That took about 5 days and it did not materially alter the gap between regular and quick ratings.

I’ve looked at the possibility of either zeroing out the QC ratings as of 1/1/2004 and starting over or rerating everything under TRSFKAQ going all the way back to December 1991 and seeing what happens. (My guess is the latter would take 3-4 weeks to recompute.)

BTW, Walter tells me that the event that started this thread has been corrected to Regular only (at least for now.)

Thanks for making this correction, I will try to make the responsible TD send a brief message to confirm this, but he is difficult to contact. The mistake likely came from not unchecking a flag for Dual rating in WinTD.

/Jens

Actually, we ignore the rating system flag in the upload files, because that flag doesn’t have the ability to denote dual rating.

Of course ‘dual’ rating will probably change in a few weeks anyway. :sigh:

Wouldn’t re-rating under TRSFKAQ change people’s REGULAR ratings too?

For example, suppose a player played his first four tournaments (in 2005) as quick-only, and then finally played in a regular-rated event. The re-rating would presumably change this player’s quick rating, which was used to seed his regular rating. This, in turn, would affect the regular ratings of each of his opponents, etc.

Bill Smythe

I think that effect will be negligible. A quick rating used to seed a regular rating is done based on 0 games, so it doesn’t have a lot of impact on the post-event rating.

I forgot about that. I know that a regular rating used to seed a quick rating is based on 10 games, and assumed it was the same the other way around.

Bill Smythe

So,can one become a “Master” under both systems? Will the new title system be implemented under both systems,if ever? What about the suggestion for a separate Blitz rating suggested by those that once had a WBCA rating?

We should call the RFKAQ the FUBAR rating. As if most people didn’t think it was a worthless rating already.

I don’t know if (or when) there will be any changes in the ‘Master’ certificate program, though if Ken Sloan is correct and the RSFKAQ rating becomes the standard I suppose we will have to change that.

The new title system (when it is implemented) will probably be implemented for both ratings types simultaneously.

I don’t think the Ratings Committee is talking about a separate Blitz rating. Should the Delegates or the Board ask the RC to work on a Blitz rating, I’m sure they’d do it, but I doubt they’re like to begin work on one wthout some outside prodding.

Also, if the reasoning behind Dual rating of events and for this latest change in the RSFKAQ rating is the lack of enough QC-only games, then a separate Blitz rating is likely to have even fewer games and thus suffer from the same problems (if not worse ones.)