Fix the quick rating system NOW!

Moderators: The thread “Proposed ADM: Default delay times. Rule 5F” has drifted off topic. Suggestion: Move four of the posts near the end of that thread to the top of this new thread. (The posts in question begin on May 10, 2011, 8:14 am, and were submitted by Goichberg, Mottershead, Goichberg, and Wiewel.)

We all know that quick ratings are greatly deflated compared to regular ratings. To be sure, almost everybody plays worse at fast time controls than slow ones, but this does not explain the discrepancy. The two systems should be aligned so that, on the average, players’ quick ratings will be about the same as their regular ratings.

To the tiresome argument that “if the two rating systems are supposed to be the same, why have quick ratings at all”, I respond that it is only the average that should be the same. The number of players whose quick ratings exceed their regular ratings should be about equal to the number whose regular exceed their quick.

What happened to create the discrepancy? It is clear that one major cause (perhaps the major cause) is inactivity. A player who has a six-year old quick rating of 1300, but whose regular rating has jumped from 1400 to 2000 during these same six years, will now have two ratings 700 points apart.

No matter what caused the discrepancy, it is self-perpetuating. If a new player entering the rating pool breaks even against five players with regular ratings of 1700 and quick ratings of 1500, this new player too will immediately begin with a regular rating of 1700 and a quick rating of 1500.

So there are two problems: (1) how to bring quick ratings into line, and (2) how to keep them there.

I submit that problem (1) will never be solved by dual ratings, universal (quick-inclusive) ratings, or tinkering with bonus points or K-factors. Why adopt such a slow approach? We need an immediate infusion – something as simple as –

a. Immediately add 130 points (or some other number) to everybody’s quick rating.

– or, something a bit more complicated but probably much better –

b. Immediately add a number of points to everybody’s quick rating, this number to be determined by a formula based on several factors. One such factor could be how big the player’s current discrepancy is. Another could be how stale the player’s quick rating is. There could be other factors as well.

Problem (2), like problem (1), does not lend itself to a good solution through the use of dual ratings or bonus-point/K-factor manipulation. If the problem is inactivity, take the horns by the bull and implement a solution designed to combat the problem precisely where it exists. For example –

c. If a player’s quick rating has been inactive for two years or more, whenever a player plays in a regular-rated event, change his quick rating by the same amount as his regular rating.

– Or –

d. Same idea, but use a sliding scale. As above for four or more years of inactivity, half as big a change for two years, 1/4 as big for one year.

Of course, the office or the ratings committee should do as much testing as it reasonably can, in order to tweak the formulas in b. and d. above so they will resemble reality as closely as possible. Inevitably, somebody is going to complain that accurate testing may not even be possible, due to incomplete data prior to 2004, or for some similar reason. I say, an imperfect solution is better than none! Do the best job possible in interpreting the test results and tweaking the formulas. Then implement the formulas, and keep an eye on the situation for a year or two, at which time the data will be more reliable. Decide, at that time, what further tweaks, if any, are in order.

Above all, adopt a solution directly aimed at the problem. (1) Since quick ratings are deflated NOW, inflate them NOW, in one swell foop, rather than gradually. (2) If inactivity is the problem, attack its effects DIRECTLY, rather than indirectly through various cute manipulations.

Bill Smythe

Or you could just eliminate Quick ratings, since there aren’t enough Quick-only events conducted by the USCF for there ever to be anything like accurate Quick ratings. Or anything like parity with the Regular rating system, without constant resort to gimmicks like those your suggest.

Or like in the other Topic One System - One Rating rate everything in one just using variable K.

I don’t see that this is a problem. However, I suggested a “solution” to this the last time this issue came up. A simple thing to do would be for each player to have one floor. That means that if he has a floor of 1800 neither his regular rating nor his quick rating can go below that. In the case of the player with a 1300 quick rating and 2000 regular rating, his quick rating would automatically be adjusted to 1800 (most likely). Of course if Mr. Mottershead’s motion to eliminate floors passes then this idea will do no good.

Alex Relyea

Having just one floor for both regular and quick would help, but like so many other ideas, it would be only a partial solution.

If, for example, a player’s regular floor is 100 points below his regular rating, then his quick floor (and hence, probably, his quick rating) will still remain 100 points below his regular rating.

Bill Smythe

Why?

I used to be pretty active locally with a group of about four players. We were pretty evenly matched at regular time controls – a range from about 1700-1800 at the time – but one of the four would consistently clean house with the other three of us at fast time controls. His regular rating would likely be lower than his quick. The rest of us would be the other way around.

Perhaps you could make a case using average discrepancies rather than player count.

I believe that the problem can probably be fixed by changing K factors and possibly bonus points. Once a good formula is found through testing, the formula would be applied retroactively going back many years and all quick ratings would be adjusted accordingly. Ratings chair Mark Glickman supports the idea of a retroactive adjustment and I agree.

Bill Goichberg

Simply so that quick and regular ratings will have about the same “feel” to the average member.

To be sure, the quick system would still function if everybody was 300 points lower quick than regular. But such a discrepancy is unnecessary, and confuses the emotional feeling of what 1800 (or any other rating) stands for.

No doubt that would be better, yes. I didn’t want to get into a technical discussion of “average” vs “median” or anything like that. I just wanted some sort of rough balance between the two systems.

Bill Smythe

Yes, I suppose a retroactive adjustment going back many years might do the trick. If, however, quick ratings turn out to have been deflated even at the start of the “many years”, the retroactive adjustment still might not be enough. Then you’d be stuck with something like first adding 50 points to each player’s quick rating and then applying the retroactive adjustment.

Alternatively, the formula used to apply the retroactive adjustment might have to be more vigorous (more bonus points, higher K) then the formula that would then be applied going forward.

Bill Smythe

Ummmmmm…could we do that to regular ratings…I could retire…everyone always thinks that they are about 130 points under-rated any way…