Information on FIDE ratings

This weekend I was on an email thread between local organizers and players here in Chicago regarding gaining FIDE ratings.

There was a rule modification that the Rules Committee and Qualification Commission agreed to, which was to reduce the 1 point requirement (a win or 2 draws) out of 3 (against FIDE rated players), to .5 point out of 3 (against FIDE rated players).

This point was being debated between us as the rule change, which we were all notified on, did not appear on the FIDE website, and the old 1 point rule showed up.

I brought up the point to Stewart Reuben, and he confirmed that while the Rules Committee and Qualification Commission agreed to it, the Presidential Board threw out the rule change.

So if anyone is organizing an event to assist with exposing more players to FIDE ratings, please be aware that the 1 point rule is still in effect.

Does that apply to all events or just the first event for players seeking a FIDE rating?

I though the old rule was: at least 1 point in one’s first FIDE-ratable performance (with at least 3 games against FIDE rated opponents), at least 1/2 point in a second (or third) performance (with at least 3 games against FIDE rated opponents.)

I thought the rules were also changed so that going 0-3 (or worse) in an event was also a FIDE-ratable performance for those who have had their first ratable performance (be that 1 point or 1/2 point.)

This is what I’ve found:

If an unrated player scores zero or half in his first event, his score and that of his opponents against him are disregarded. But if the unrated player has previously achieved a rating performance above the rating floor, then this result is included in computing his overall rating.

In a Swiss or team event:

For an unrated player’s performance to count he must play at least three games against rated opponents; score at least 1 point; and the rating based on the tournament result at its conclusion be above the rating floor.

I interpret the above regulations in the following way. If an unrated scores less than 1 point or does not play 3 FIDE rated players in his first event then it is not rated. Once he is past that mark then any future event where he plays at least 3 FIDE rated players is rated per 8.22-8.25.

Until the event times out. Then, it’s back to square zero.