Oklahoma FIDE tournament

Is anyone familiar with the tournament this month in Oklahoma that has free entry to anyone FIDE rated, and free lodging + $500 to any FIDE rated woman?

I’m just wondering (from my perspective as a small level organizer) how you can budget around something like that. I directed a tournament last year where the organizer offered free room and entry to any IM or GM, and there was a scare when 7 or 8 people expressed interest. (Only 1 actually attended, so it worked out as intended.)

How hard is it to get a FIDE rating anyway? I’ve seen tournaments listed as FIDE rated, and I had someone once tell me that you had to have a certain rating performance to get one.

To get a published FIDE rating you need 9 FIDE ratable games within 18 months. Moreover, for your games in an event to be ratable, you must have at least 3 games against FIDE rated opponents and you have to score at least 1 point.

FIDE ratings below 1600 are not published, either. (There’s talk that FIDE will lower that number, though.)

Thanks Mike

From the FIDE website (fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0210):

I think I read this as if you score at least one point in your first event then future events still count towards your FIDE rating, even if you score zero.

Chris Bird

Rob,

It’s easy if you have a big sponsor.

Alex Relyea

I’m not sure how someone is supposed to know if an event for an unrated player is that player’s first event or not.

Anyway, under the new reporting format, we report all ratable games and the FIDE office decides whether or not the event is ratable for that player or not.

I played at the US Open this past summer and I did play more than 3 FIDE rated players, and scored a win against one of those players. My rating was never published.

I’m sure in a perfect world that as soon as they play an event that qualifies, e.g. minimum of 3 FIDE rated games scoring at least 1 point, that they assign that person a FIDE ID and then provide it to USCF so that it can be entered into our information for reporting future events.

Of course, that’s in a perfect world…

Chris Bird

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you did play 3 FIDE rated players according the the MSA, however you only scored the following:

L - Angelo Young
L - David L Lee
D - James Egerton

This only adds up to half a point. However the troubling thing is that David L Lee and James Egerton have FIDE IDs listed on the MSA which are obvioulsy not FIDE IDs and they are not FIDE rated players! Don’t know how that happened but it needs looking at.

Chris Bird

PS - You also need to have a minimum of 9 FIDE rated games for your rating to eventually be “published”.

Yea, my mistake, I thought that Drew was FIDE rated. Poo

The new FIDE Reporting System website gives the ratings officer for the USCF (Walter Brown) the ability to create FIDE IDs for players that don’t already have them.

Since all FIDE rated events held in the US have to be submitted through the USCF office, the office should be able to make sure all players with FIDE ratable results in those events have FIDE IDs. (This still gets a bit messy for large open events like the US Open, but that should be manageable.)

If the FIDE IDs showing for David Lee and James Egerton have less than 7 digits, they’re temporary IDs that were being used by the FIDE office in the past before a player had a publishable FIDE rating.

Casto Abundo told me in June that FIDE has stopped issuing those shorter temporary IDs, but I don’t know if all of those players have their permanent FIDE IDs yet, and even if they do, cleaning them out of both FIDE’s records and the USCF’s records will take a while.

I think I read this as if you score at least one point in your first event then future events still count towards your FIDE rating, even if you score zero.

Chris Bird
[/quote]

Hi Chris:

The requirement is that you have to get a specified performance rating for the result to count. For events after the first, you must score at least 1/2 point. A valid performance rating can’t be calculated with a score of zero.

Mike is slightly incorrect on the lower rating limit. It is 1400, not 1600. I just checked the Jan07 FRL and they have a small amount of ratings in the 1401-1599 range

Regards, Ernie