New Twist on Which Rating to Use

I am directing a scholastic tournament this coming weekend. The tournament is G/30 and is dual rated.

One parent has asked that his child be placed in the Under 800 section. The child is rated over 800 regular, and under 800 quick. I know it seems logical to put him in the section according to his regular rating, but where is this procedure documented?

Help is appreciated.

Perhaps page 260, 1. Rated Games is what you are looking for?:

“There are two seperate rating systems. A player’s Quick rating is calculated if he or she participates in events with time contols of G/10-G/29. A player’s Regular rating is computed if he or she enters a tournament with time controls of G/30 or slower.”

Or, 28E. Assigned ratings for rated players. The director may assign a rating to any rated player.

I believe the dual rating is a function of the office and Ratings Committee not the tournament entry process. The tournament is using G/30 so the regular rating is used.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for your quick response.

My point for mentioning this is that chess parents are starting to see G/30 as dual rated, not just quick and regular. Yes, the rule you cite seems appropriate but it doesn’t specifically address which rating to use for entry.

I think using this rule as justification would be a bit of a stretch.

It is important to maintain the distinction between rules and ratings.

Rules-wise, game/30 is regular-rated. Scorekeeping is required (except K-3), the standard delay is 5 seconds rather than 3, etc.

So the regular rating should be used.

Regular: game/30 and slower
Quick: game/10 through game/29
Blitz: game/9 and faster

True, blitz is currently rated as quick, and game/30 through game/60 is currently quick-rated as well as regular-rated, but this does not affect the rules.

Bill Smythe

Grant,

If you are using the regular rating for all the other players then you need to make the consistent and fair decision of also using the regular rating for this player. Using a “quick” rating for this single player gives them an unfair advantage.

I suspect that if this parent and those like him want to play “chess lawyer” games then events will start to consider advertising which rating they intend to use.

Tim

I think it’s fairly clear that if the event is regular rated, even if it is ALSO quick rated, that regular ratings should be used for pairing and prize purposes.

In practice, I suspect that most TDs running quick-only events (ie, G/29 or faster) are using regular ratings, even though most of the players competing in these events have quick ratings.

However, that raises the issue of why we bother to have a quick ratings system at all.

We have a weekly G/29 tourney here. The organizers use quick rating for pairing and prize purposes. Maybe things are just weird here.

My whole premise for this thread was to view dual rated events from the eyes of the new player/parent. I also see this as another example of why we should review the current system of quick, dual, and regular rated events.

One of the most common problems with using quick ratings is that sometimes a player has not played in a quick rated event in a long time. When I ran the G/15 last year, I noticed that in some players cases their quick rating was 1600 and their regular rating was 2250. It is obviously not fair to put the guy in the B class.

I like the method Tim Just showed me of using the regular rating if there is greater than a 200-300 point difference.

Glenn