Nov. USCF Adult Membership Sale

Hi All:

On Tuesday, I had a player who I had not seen in awhile come to the club and ask about an Adult 2 year membership for $84. I went to the USCF website and also the Join/Renew page and found nothing. Fortunately, he had a paper with the URL. I really wish that the USCF had sent this information to the affiliates so we don’t look stupid when someone shows up and asks about a membership sale we know nothing about.

I posted the following in other forums also.

I just learned that the USCF is having a special sale on adult memberships. Purchase a 2 year Premium Adult Membership for $84 and get a 3rd year free. It will also upgrade your regular adult membership to premium for up to a year. There is also a 1 year sale where you pay $40 and get the premium membership (gets the printed copy of Chess Life).
https://secure2.uschess.org/342CLpromo/promoE.php

Regards, Ernie

Many eligible current and former members were notified of this promotion via email. There was also a special mailing of the November Chess Life and USCF Sales catalog to current regular adult and former adult members.

This information was also in CLO on November 7th, see uschess.org/content/view/11951/688/

Yes, Ernie - there is a thread in the Issues forum on this (3 years for 2 or something like that) and the lack of communication was noted there. You might find that thread of interest.

There is a notice about it on the main page of the website.

When we send out some 20,000 emails and 10,000 copies of Chess Life with a flyer about the offer to eligible members, as well as post about it on CLO, that’s not exactly a ‘lack of communication’.

Please see post in the issues forum thread, Mike.

Mike, Until USCF offers such specials readily available to the general public on our website rather than the contradictory rates below—

Individual Memberships
Membership Type One Year Two Years Three Years Membership Details and Benefits
Premium Adult 1 Yr Membership $46 $84 $122
Full membership. Includes 12 issues per year of Chess Life, the right to earn a chess rating in the official national rating system

With no indication WHATSOEVER that there is a sale, then the chances of whatever the sale would have become
minimal. It seems from appearances, that this is simply another halfhearted attempt to raise revenues for whatever
reason. It seems to many of us, that either our focus should be on a sale, and increasing membership in a certain
manner, or we should not. One or the other. As with so many things, it seems USCF settles for an ineffective
compromise.

In short, if the sale is real, and it is meaningful it needs to be promoted in all that we do, not just partially, and not
just half-way. And right now, half-way is a complement. And Kevin is correct, this is a lack of proper communication.

Rob Jones