Online Implementation of New Tournament Memberships?

I started the process of doing an online rating report for a tournament I ran yesterday. I began by creating a membership batch to submit all the USCF memberships. I sold four of the new $10 tournament memberships but discovered to my dismay that they are not given as an option. So, I can’t submit these four memberships online, I can’t proceed with the rating report without the new ID numbers and I promised all the players that they could see their new ratings by tonight or tomorrow.

Mike Nolan, am I missing some online procedure for handlng these memberships or am I going to have to call the USCF office if I want quick action?

– Hal Terrie

The USCF office can’t handle them yet, either. Or more accurately, they can put in a TM but the mechanism within the tournament validation process to recognize them isn’t there yet, so the event will still show as having membership errors. I’m working on that this evening, I don’t know if I’ll have it working well enough by tomorrow to release it.

The USCF website is promoting the new Tournament Membership on the homepage. Are Tournament Memberships able to used as a Membership Exception when submitting tournaments online? Shouldn’t we wait until they can be used to submit rating reports (presumably the only purpose that they can have) before we sell them?

When I was asked by the Board how quickly I could have TM’s ready, I gave an answer that turned out to be very optimistic, both because of some legal/paperwork issues and some systems issues which arose in the last 6-8 weeks that required immediate attention.

I have to make some changes to the membership interface used at the office before I can release TMs. I’m hoping to be able to do this this weekend.

TM’s are now available for events submitted online.

Thank you!

I think this is a step in the right direction for promoting chess tournaments to commitment-phobic players.

• Enrique

It’s also a great way for scholastic players to have a chance to see what it’s like to get a rating and a magazine. I think it will help bring more of them into the fold.

Thanks, Mike!