past TLAs?

Mike,

Is it possible to research past TLAs on-line? That would be past TLAs for any state for anyone to research. I was trying to research what kinds of events had been held in various states for the past year and could find no way to do that without looking up that material in my hardcopies of Chess Life. Is Chess Life currently the only option?

Tim

As far as I know when they upload a new set of TLAs to the website they overwrite the previous files. I think Laura has been doing that transfer, I don’t know if she has kept copies or if anyone in either the NY or TN office has archival copies of those files. They may have the TLAs in the Chess Life offices, but probably not in a very searchable form (like Quark) and those files are not on the website.

I do know the staff in Tennessee had to research the TLAs in the last year or so of Chess Life to make sure they had all the Grand Prix and FIDE rated events identified. If that’s how they have to do it, that’s probably what the rest of us are stuck with, too.

I’m a data packrat, I seldom delete anything. (It’s why I have well over a terabyte of disk drives in my office, too.) Thus once we get the new online TLA section up, we should have an ongoing repository of past TLAs.