Rates for FIDE rated sections

Fees for submitting events to FIDE will be increased in 2010. Here is the motion that the Executive Board passed:

The initial exchange rate for round Robin and match events has not been set yet. Here are the fees in Euros as given in section 12.2 of the FIDE handbook:

* Tournaments of an average rating of up to 2300: 50 Euro
* Tournaments of an average rating of 2301 - 2400: 100 Euro
* Tournaments of an average rating of 2401 - 2500: 150 Euro
* Tournaments of an average rating of 2501 - 2600: 200 Euro
* Tournaments of an average rating above 2601: 300 Euro

As of this morning, the exchange rate for the Euro is around $1.47.

Mike:

For SS events, how will a FIDE ratable performance be determined given that the files provided do not have time control information?

For RR events, will the system automatically determine the fee based on submitted information or will it be with radio buttons / list boxes to select the appropriate fee?

The first question was asked in the USCF Issues forum. There will be a way to code rounds or specific games that are not FIDE ratable. (Although it isn’t in the dBase upload file, which dates back to around 1991, TDs already have to supply some time control information in order for us to differentiate between quick/dual rated events and regular rated events, as well as JGP-eligible events.)

I am leaning towards computing the fee for round robins and matches based on the FIDE ratings of the players and making that the default option on a set of radio buttons. However, any DECREASE in the FIDE fee may require office review before the event can be submitted.

How user intensive is this form going to be? Have any TD’s or organizers been asked to help on usability of this form?

I haven’t had a chance to show it to anyone yet, but it’s not really that different from the current form, there are only a few fields that are being changed or added. (In all honesty, adding color reporting is the most significant difference.)

Thanks for the quick replies Mike!

I know that this opinion will be greeted by strong objections - but I’ll throw it out there anyway: I think that sections should be FIDE-ratable section-by-section and not round-by-round.

There are ways to continue to hold the mixed-speed sections that some organizers offer - these push the complexity out to the Organizers of such sections and do not require epicycles upon epicycles in the central ratings system.

I’ll go away now.

I know a number of people within FIDE who agree with you, they think multiple schedules with different time controls or faster time controls for some rounds is preposterous. Areas where USCF pairing methods or tournament rules differ from FIDE are also met with scorn.

FWIW, the initial exchange rate that will be used starting on January 1st for Round Robin events is $1.75 per Euro. (The table for the number of Euros based on the average rating of the event is in an earlier post in this thread.)

The rates for Swiss events will not change until March 1st.

Per Bill Hall, we are lowering the exchange rate for FIDE RR events from $1.75 per Euro to $1.55 per Euro in light of recent changes in economic conditions. This will be effective as soon as the programming is complete, probably early next week.