Rating glitch?

Can anyone suggest how a player with a provisional rating of 592 might end up with a rating floor of 1900 after a rated beginners’ open?

Wow, cool! This is completely uninformed speculation, and I probably should keep it to myself. Nonetheless, I wonder if perhaps there was a manual assignment of a rating floor, possibly because a player in some tournament won a prize of $2000 or more in an under 1900 section (or a large under 1900 class prize), and there was a typo in the USCF ID somewhere (assigning the rating floor to the wrong player).

Well, it’s the best explanation I can come up with …

The chief TD or the player can contact the office to let them know that an error may have been made. The November supplement is already created, so it won’t have any affect on that. However, there is maybe a week to get it corrected before it affects the December supplement, and only a couple of days before the weekend re-rate runs and has a chance of showing the rating prior to the next week’s re-rate/supplement-creation.

If it isn’t corrected then the next RBO (or similar event) that he plays in may result in the creation of a number of provisional masters (especially if he’s having a bad day and goes 0-5).

Given that anjiaoshi was the chief TD, I’m guessing he’s going to be sending e-mail to ratingsmgr@uschess.org very soon …

Done. Er, well, I sent it to Jim Johanson, who’s listed in the staff box as “Membership & Ratings Supervisor.” Didn’t know about that other e-mail address.

ETA: Sent it to ratingsmgr@uschess.org as well, just to be safe.

The note should go to Chuck and Walter .

A 1900 floor was posted to that ID on May 12th.

Based just on the MSA record for that player, it looks like a typo of some kind.

However, there is no explanation in the floor record of why it was posted, such as the name of the event in which a money prize floor is earned.

There’s always supposed to be a note, and (of course) that’s the ONLY manual correction entry without a note in it in the past three years!

So, I can’t answer the question, and without an explanation in the record I don’t know if anyone will remember the details of that transaction. (I doubt that I remember absolutely everything I did 5 months ago.)

If it is a typo figuring out what ID it should have been posted to could be challenging, with no explanatory note.

Walter and Chuck have looked at it, and, as I suspected, they can’t figure out who was supposed to get that 1900 floor, but they’re going to delete it from that ID.

There have been 15 events since 1/1/2009 that offered at least 20 Grand Prix points and had an U/1900 section, but only two in 2010. For the most part these days money prize floors are being posted to events within a few days of when they end.

It doesn’t look like it came from the Philadelphia Open in April or the Liberty Bell in January.

Followup: Digging even further, we have a partial answer.

There was a second manual entry to this ID, which was subsequently deleted (but was in a log file), inserting an old rating (from the 1976 annual list) of 2116 under ID 10010721. That rating would have carried a 1900 floor with it, which explains why the 1900 floor record was posted to that ID.

It looks like the floor record was not deleted when the old rating was. I don’t see a restored rating of 2116 for any other player in 2010, though, so we still don’t know who the intended player was. I also don’t see any likely candidates for returning members who would have been active in 1976 with similar names.

Unless someone wants to go through the 1976 annual list looking for that ID and rating, I think this is about as far as we can investigate.