Tournament Memberships ?

Are tournament memberships still available ? I can’t find them on the membership renewal page. Thanks !
Tom Hartmayer

You can’t get them there. When you submit a rating report with a non-member, there’s a checkbox next to the player’s name allowing you to pay $12 (or $7). If you need an ID number, there’s an option on that (horendously long) list of options on the TD/A page for “non-member ID” at a price of $0.

Tom, the FAQ on the TD/A page explains the process in detail, but John gave you the short version. They’re part of the tournament submission process because they’re good for just one event (ie, one section), and that’s how we make sure they get applied to the tournament they’re intended for.

Thank you John & Nolan ! I was inquiring because we may need one of these for the UMASS Team Tournament being held today in Amherst, MA. Competitors include Williams College, UMASS and 2 teams from UCONN in a G/60, 3-RR event. Thanks again !
Tom Hartmayer

The QA is good - walks you right through the process. Short version is you go through membership to get them a number - enter them as a non-member and no money. Then you enter the number assigned into the rating page, run a check so you get a non-member error, check the torunament membership box on each one individually in the ratings page for the section and then pay on checkout from rating the tournament.

It is a bit cumbersome, but it works - and I am not sure how it could be made easier given the wayt the other systems work.

I suppose the necessary fields (name, address, sex and birthdate) could be part of an extensible upload tournament reporting format (such as XML), but the pairing programs would have to be modified to collect and report that information when it is needed.

The authors of those programs might not see this as a high priority need, especially since TMs currently represent about one half of one percent of the participants in USCF rated events.

Saturday I entered just one individual to get an ID for him and when it came time to check out I was a little uncertain about if I should fill in the VISA info etc since there was no charge. I wondered if the USCF would take the minimal charge for the transaction I was about to do. I thought about waiting until later and adding this individual with a couple of $41 dollar memberships etc. Then I just clicked process it without the VISA info in it and it went right through. It would be nice if when there was no charge if the VISA fields simply didn’t show up.

Hmm, I thought it was already set to skip displaying the CC data fields when the payment due was $0.00, but apparently not. I’ve changed it, hopefully that didn’t break anything else. :sigh: